benali

What is this common spring flower?

This is a common early spring flower in the midwest, but darned if I can find what it is by googling. Anybody know?

Thank you.
spring-flower.jpg

JONA
Greener Thumb

Wild hyacinth possibly.

benali

Yes, it looks a lot like hyacinth, doesn't it? Around here, the hyacinth's I've seen all have more extended "vertical" type flowers, like this Wikipedia photo ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyacinth_(plant) ), so that's why I'm wondering. Thank you.

applestar
Mod

What you have could also be several years old hyacinth that is either underfed or have had some other stress that prevented the flower stalk from developing into the full form.

When you plant the bulbs for the first time, they had been grown to store maximum energy in the bulb, but in the ground over the years, they get tired if not cared for, especially in the fall (when they are pretty much forgotten).

JONA
Greener Thumb

I guess the scent might give it away...even when they are old plantings they still retain some of that lovely scent.

benali

Jona, I smelled it -- you're right! Definitely smells like a hyacinth to me.

Applestar -- thanks for excellent advice on planting hyacinths in the right locations. This one is located in an area with far too much shade. That could be the reason for its "dwarf" look.

I'm planning on planting a bunch of spring bulbs/flowers this fall to come up next year (hyacinth, crocus, snowdrop, etc). I'll be sure to make the effort to research online before I actually do the planting. Could make a big difference to being successful. Thanks.

applestar
Mod

Seeing all the spring blooms definitely encourages fall bulb gardening plans! :D

Hyacinths do flower better in sunny locations. Allocate the daffodils to the less sunny locations since they are more tolerant.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Hyacinth Carnegie

Return to “Plant Identification”