terrace

LIQUIDAMBAR TREE

WE HAVE A VERY LARGE TREE AT PRESENT WINTER HERE IN BRISBANE AUSTRALIA. THE TREE IS DROPPING MANY LEAVES AND ALSO WE FIND SOLID LIKE BERRIES ON THE GROUND UNDER THE TREE-SEE ATTACHED. LOOKING AT THE FORK OF THE BRANCHES WE SEE THE DEVELOPMENT OF SOMETHING LOOKING LIKE THE BERRY STARTING TO MAYBE PRODUCE A LEAF. THERE`s NO OTHER TREE OR BUSH IN THE GARDEN THAT WOULD HAVE BERRIES. DO YOU KNOW PLEASE? TERRY :D
Attachments
20180610_083946.jpg

applestar
Mod

Are you asking IF the tree is Liquidamber of are you saying you know you have a Liquidamber and asking if this “fruit” is from the Liquidamber?

— as far as I know “Liquidamber” is another name for Sweetgum, and Sweetgum produces green, prickly hollow shelled ...seedpods, that turns brown and dry. Nothing like this. Sweetgum has distinctive star-shaped leaves and turns bright red in the fall.

Looking at the photo, I wonder what kind of stem it had, and I need a size reference — is that a copy paper? If so this is pretty large.

It would help to see a photo of the “fruit” ON the tree, and the leaves, bark, etc. of the tree. Are you saying it is starting to grow while still attached to the tree? Maybe it’s some kind of a parasitic plant.

P.S. Next time, please don’t use all caps — it’s hard to read....

terrace

I`m asking about the berry in the picture, There are many berries under the tree. The length of the berry is about 8ml just over a quarter of an inch. Is the berry part of the leaf production? :D

terrace

:D I think what happens is the black berry develops in the fork of a branch as you can see in my photos attachment to produce a branch or spiky fruit but some are not getting to that stage and fall to the ground. As there are many under the tree they don`t come from anywhere else. :D
Attachments
20180612_072338.jpg

terrace

SOLVED BY ME :D :lol:

Return to “Plant Identification”