pinksand
Greener Thumb

Moisture Loving Groundcover - ID Needed

I have a "weed" that specifically grows where a natural spring on our property makes the soil boggy. I haven't seen it growing anywhere else in my yard, so I assume it relies on wet conditions to survive. Initially I was pulling it, but now it seems to be aiding in holding the soil in place so I'm considering keeping it... unless it's :evil:

I wish I could post a photo, but I'm having issues with photobucket so here's my best verbal description...

Sprawling groundcover/vine that does seem to set roots long the stem. The stem is a coppery brown color and the leaves are mostly deep green with a red vein down the center and some leaves themselves are burgundy, particularly new leaves. I’d say the color reminds me a bit of the bronze varieties of ajuga, but maybe a bit more on the green side. The leaves are also smaller (maybe the size of a penny) and more ovate with pointed ends. I’ve never seen it bloom. When I’ve pulled it, the stems break very easily and seem watery… kind of like the stem of purselane, but the leaves are smooth (though also veined), shiny, and thin… not fleshy like purselane.

Any thoughts!? I uploaded it to a plant ID ap and got nothing remotely helpful. All my searches have been useless.

imafan26
Mod

Try shrinking the picture and uploading them on the forum.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Well now I feel dumb because I could have sworn we used to have to host photos somewhere else (ie photobucket) to post on this forum. Thank you for letting me know!

Hopefully this helps!
WeedID.jpg

thanrose
Greener Thumb

I think that's an amaranth. Amaranthus biltoides. The juiciness may throw that one out the window, though.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Hmmmm, I think it's a strong possibility actually.... I can't find any photos online that look identical but close enough that I think it could be it. Most of the photos I found had much greener leaves. I wonder if the massive amount of moisture this plant gets in this location could cause the bronzer leaf color?

If it is Amaranthus biltoides... sounds like one to pull... what are your thoughts?

The nice thing about it is that it seems to hold the soil in place. Maybe I can find something else that will grow similarly without such weediness.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Yeah, when it flowers, like in the next few weeks, you may have too many seedlings to contend with come spring. Tiny flowers, tiny seeds. I'd consider eating it, but would probably pull it if I couldn't get a couple more IDs.

I thought it looked suspiciously like an amaranth, so I queried Miss Google, "Are you quite sure?! Really! A prostrate amaranth? Why this is madness! Madness, I say..." Another site, probably a Uni, maybe U of M or whatever you call it, had several to a dozen common lawn weeds in Maryland and did not have this one.

With the rocks there, have you considered thyme or oregano?

Return to “Plant Identification”