SRT10
Newly Registered

Pole or Bush Beans ?

Sorry for the multiple requests after just joining this forum however I'm looking for some help with Beans identification. My 6 year old brought home his plant from school a month or so ago and it's flourished as we wanted to keep it growing no matter what it was. It was a mystery seed as he didn't write down what it was other than he knew it was a bean plant.....maybe lol.
I have since picked 2 nice green beans and they were perfectly ripe. But....how do I tell if these are bush or pole beans ?
Unfortunately I have to leave it in this container as I don't have a "garden" per say for veggies at my house yet.
Attachments
20170717_181740.jpg
20170717_191815.jpg
20170717_191734.jpg

imafan26
Mod

It is probably a bush bean. The main difference between a pole bean and a bush bean is that the pole bean is a vine and the bush bean does not get very tall. Bush beans usually flower and put out their beans all at once while a pole bean keeps flowering and making a few beans at a time. The beans will look similar. Flavor will depend on variety.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I concur with imafan26. I too go with bush bean. Pole beans want to wrap around anything it can so it can climb with many of the branches of the plant snaking around an structure they are near to reach for the sky.

I plant my pole beans by a trellis that is covered in hog wire that has rectangular openings in it 2 inches by 3 inches and my pole bean vines really wrap around all that wire. I usually spend a couple hours getting the vine off the trellis when it is finished for the year.

Return to “Plant Identification”