SRT10
Newly Registered

No Idea what these are

I started everything from seed this year. I did this within my garage and (DIY) grow lights......however I intentionally put 3 seeds directly into the front garden just to see what happened. Unfortunately I have no clue what these 3 plants/weeds? are as I put in 3 petunia seeds I was sure and as you can see, these aren't petunia's. I didn't have anything that looks like this that I started so I'm lost as to what these are. Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
Flower.jpg

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Ragweed. They really won't get any more interesting than they are right now, and they are big allergy irritants.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup! Thanrose nailed it, both the ID and the fact that if you let it make pollen, that is a severe allergen for many people.

People often write in here convinced that whatever weed they have must be a petunia or a rose or a tomato or whatever, because that is the seed they planted in that spot. Weeds are ubiquitous! Nature abhors a vaccuum. If your seeds don't sprout, something certainly will! :shock:

LIcenter

I'm guessing, but I must have pulled a good twenty from my driveway bed today. Ornery sob's to say the least.

SRT10
Newly Registered

lmao, how the junk did those get in there, son of a gun.. Pulled already, Thx for the heads up. for darn it sakes......(insert swear words)

jeff84

they are everywhere. you may have introduced them by accident, or birds or wind could have introduced them as well. pretty much anywhere soil exists there is a chance these suckers will pop up

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

SRT10 wrote:lmao, how the junk did those get in there, son of a gun.. Pulled already, Thx for the heads up. for darn it sakes......(insert swear words)
Seeds that are 2,000 years old have been known to sprout. https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... seed-food/ The soil is full of weed seeds lying dormant. Every time you disturb soil or till it or turn it over, you bring fresh seeds up to the surface, where they can germinate. Weeds are a fact of life for gardeners and there is no time or place where it is surprising to find a weed. :shock:

thanrose
Greener Thumb

I read something years ago that some weed that was introduced to Florida was endemic to the eastern Mediterranean lands. The university researchers could trace the earliest occurrence to coincide with soldiers returning from the Gulf War (1990). The speculation was that the seed came in on lug soled boots of returning troops.

Small new ponds with no inlet of fresh water will develop flora and fauna indigenous to the area within a year. Often sooner. Where does this life come from? On the backs of turtles, between the toes of wading birds, on the wings of butterflies, and from the wafts of gentle breezes. Over tens of thousands of random visits, hundreds of seeds and eggs and spores will fall into the welcoming water, and some tiny fraction of those will proliferate.

Life will find a way.

Return to “Plant Identification”