MTC
Newly Registered

Need some help IDing various species in my yard

Hi all! I live in Michigan and it's spring here. I'm trying to get (at least the non-helpful) invasives out of my yard and plant some helpful wildlife-friendly natives instead, and in the meantime have found a number of plants that I could use help identifying. I can then look them up online and figure out what to do with them. I'm sorry that there are a lot here; I'm a total newbie to gardening and may have let my yard run a bit...wild. Okay, a lot wild. I'm not a fan of grass, what can I say?

Plant #1: About 6-12 inches high

Plant #2: Bull thistle?

Plant #3: Shrub that gets 5-8 feet tall, acting like a real invasive in my yard, brown star-shaped seed pods. Made the mistake of thinking this was mulberry.

Plant #4: Shrub, about 2 feet tall:

Plant #5: 6-12 inches tall, the small shrubby thing in the center of the picture.

Plant #6: Grows in dense stands, about 2-3 feet tall.

Plant #7: About a foot tall, bees love it; sorry the picture is not great--I can try for a better one if anyone wants it.

Plant #8: Random reddish-colored shrub.

Plant #9: (Last one!) Another thistle plant. I'm trying to figure out if it's native or introduced.

Thank you very much for taking a look at these; I really appreciate it.

applestar
Mod

MTC wrote:Hi all! I live in Michigan and it's spring here. I'm trying to get (at least the non-helpful) invasives out of my yard and plant some helpful wildlife-friendly natives instead, and in the meantime have found a number of plants that I could use help identifying. I can then look them up online and figure out what to do with them. I'm sorry that there are a lot here; I'm a total newbie to gardening and may have let my yard run a bit...wild. Okay, a lot wild. I'm not a fan of grass, what can I say?

Plant #1: About 6-12 inches high POKEWEED

Plant #2: Bull thistle?

Plant #3: Shrub that gets 5-8 feet tall, acting like a real invasive in my yard, brown star-shaped seed pods. Made the mistake of thinking this was mulberry. ROSE OF SHARON

Plant #4: Shrub, about 2 feet tall: TREE OF HEAVEN... I think

Plant #5: 6-12 inches tall, the small shrubby thing in the center of the picture.

Plant #6: Grows in dense stands, about 2-3 feet tall. I have this. Can't remember what it's called. Pull it - spreads by underground runners. A REAL NUISANCE.

Plant #7: About a foot tall, bees love it; sorry the picture is not great--I can try for a better one if anyone wants it. BUTTERCUP

Plant #8: Random reddish-colored shrub. Feel like I should recognize this one.....

Plant #9: (Last one!) Another thistle plant. I'm trying to figure out if it's native or introduced.

Thank you very much for taking a look at these; I really appreciate it.

MTC
Newly Registered

Thank you! Even just knowing half the species is a huge step forward.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

You think #8 is Crepe Myrtle?

Agree #4.

Return to “Plant Identification”