rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Re: Parsley-like Tree/Bush/Weed

chinaberry is not bad, but I don't think so:

I think it is a sumac, like maybe staghorn sumac:

leaflets are narrower and there are more of them per compound leaf.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

inane5

:D Thanks rainbowgardener, and everyone else! I think it's a match for staghorn sumac.

Wikipedia basically says it grows quite aggressively, both by seeds and rhizomes. (That explains why it's growing everywhere.) The flower/fruit is in a big clump which is probably why I never noticed it. (I mentioned that I'm lazy and not very observant :oops: .) The fruit also has a lot of practical purposes, so I think someone in the neighborhood must be purposely growing it, and it wandered into my yard.

Well, it's annoying but not poisonous. Guess I'll just have to keep pulling them.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

i don't mean to rain on anyone's identification parade, but I'm not buying sumac in general, or staghorn specifically. the stem in the original picture is much too thin, even for a young seedling.

the original pic also seemed (and the newer ones seem to back it up) to be bipinnate, not pinnate, as sumac is.

still don't have an answer, but that ain't sumac. chinaberry is at least bipinnate.

Lindsaylew82
Mod

The more I looked at it, (chinaberry) the less the leaves looked correct.

They are bipinnate, but the leaflets aren't as serrated as I thought, which leads me to think it isn't Chinaberry.

I agree, not sumac.

Still working on it! Appreciate the challenge!!!
Lindsay
Upstate, SC
USDA Zone 7b/ Sunset Zone 31

Lindsaylew82
Mod

Oh! I think I have it!

Golden Rain tree!
https://weeds.brisbane.qld.gov.au/sites/ ... k=bvbQBXN4

Here are some photos from the extension:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Lindsay
Upstate, SC

inane5

Those 3 pictures are exactly what they look like. Golden Rain Tree, from Australia! :shock:

Thanks Lindsaylew82 for finally indentifying the weed. You are very resourceful! And thanks Potatoes for raining on the premature parade. Good catch!

told2b

Leafage_of_Koelreuteria_paniculata.JPG
Arbor Day Foundation
The goldenraintree lends grace and charm to the landscape throughout the entire year—rare yellow tree blossoms in the late spring and summer, graceful paper lanterns dangling from the branches in autumn and winter. But this tree is more than just looks. Goldenraintrees are hardy, thriving in the tough urban environment and an astonishingly wide range of soil conditions.

The combination of beauty and durability makes for an enchanting sight near patios, in parks, in street rights-of-way and in planters.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

what's funny is that i though briefly about golden rain tree, and then dropped the idea for some reason...

Lindsaylew82
Mod

!potatoes! wrote:what's funny is that i though briefly about golden rain tree, and then dropped the idea for some reason...
Great minds!... :wink:
Lindsay
Upstate, SC

Return to “Plant Identification”