kaotika
Newly Registered

What are these weeds that have taken over my garden?

So we are working hard to grow a garden, we tilled and cleaned and tilled some more. we planted rows upon rows and waited. We watered and waited. Sprouts... Sprouts everywhere... One problem though... What exactly is it that we have growing?!?!?

They don't itch or burn after we touch them, they don't flower, or haven't yet, they don't smell... but they have consumed every inch, for the most part, of our beginner garden...
13410767_1256825437668940_2080269536_o.jpg
13446270_1256825421002275_780539700_o.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Those weeds look like they came up easy. I'll trade you my weeds are a lot worse. There must be a lot of seed in the garden.
You just have to keep after them. If the other seeds don't come up I suggest you do the cardboard or carpet on the bed. remove it after two weeks. Clear off the dead stuff , water, till in more compost, and let everything come up and repeat until most of the weeds are gone.

My gardens are too weedy. I do the best I can and plant through them, it is better than leaving bare ground.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Looks like redroot pigweed:
https://extension.psu.edu/pests/weeds/we ... ot-pigweed
If so, it's edible and pretty good as long as you get it before it turns woody and tough.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I'm afraid I don't have an answer, but I disagree with it being an amaranth/pigweed. pictured plants have serrate leaf margins. amaranth doesn't.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

!potatoes! wrote:I'm afraid I don't have an answer, but I disagree with it being an amaranth/pigweed. pictured plants have serrate leaf margins. amaranth doesn't.

You are right. I didn't blow up the first picture. I was going by the red stem.

watermelonpunch

This is in Kansas?
It looks pretty lush for growing in what looks like very dry soil.
Is it sassparilla? :)

Anyhow, just some tips... it's a little easier to identify if you take a picture of the entire leaf arrangement on the stem, and also to take the picture on an overcast day... or earlier or later in the day when it's not bright midday sunlight.
Seems like around here, all it takes is getting the plant from the right angle for someone to recognize it! :)

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Maybe it's young hophornbeam Copperleaf?

Look at this extension:
https://extension.uga.edu/publications/d ... umber=C882

It's considered noxious in your state as well as Georgia and my state, SC.

kaotika
Newly Registered

The top 1/4 inch of soil dries out super fast, underneath it is nice and moist... I will get some better picture's of it and post it for yall. It does kind of look like Copperleaf. It seems that it's the only thing I can get to grow in my garden area... lol

kaotika
Newly Registered

Below are a couple more views of the plants that have invaded my garden...
IMG_4526.JPG
IMG_4525.JPG
Some good news though... I got peppers...
IMG_4530.JPG
Oh and these guys are all over my garden...
IMG_4529.JPG

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I think it is hophornbeam copper!

I would NOT let them flower. Cut them pull them, do what you gotta do, but it won't be easy! I would divide your garden up into sections, and make goals of 1-2 sections of control per day, and then you'll likely have to repeat.

In the spring and fall, pre emergents will be super helpful in preventing the seeds from sprouting, solving your future problem. But it also prevents desired seeds from germinating...

If you can prevent overspray onto your desired plants, (peppers, tomatoes...) I would try spraying them with horticultural grade vinegar. The smaller the plant, the better it works.

kaotika
Newly Registered

Thanks! I bought a stirrup hoe to help with the weeding so I will get out tonight and start knocking them out. Thanks for the feedback!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

You're welcome! Good luck!

Return to “Plant Identification”