applestar
Mod

Is that a bean? Does anyone know?

Last year, my mom gave me an envelope of seeds she received from her friend back in 2013 -- accompanying letter said she had gone on vacation to India and brought these back for me to grow (thanks, Mom :roll: ) Her friend identified these as "Pumpkins" and "Indian Sqash" and she said the Indian Squash are big like watermelon but are cooked same way as regular squash. I suspect the gourd seeds are those. But there is one seed in there that wasn't described. It was mahogany colored and originally much rounder, with a white "eye" that I thought was like a Lima or fava bean.

After soaking, it has taken on a more oval shape -- I recognize this behavior as similar to soy bean.

I know, hardly any details to go on at all, but any clue?

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

the elongated hilum around the one side makes me think yes, it's a bean. hyacinth bean/lab lab looks a lot like that.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

We talking bottom left?

applestar
Mod

Yep! And I think !potatoes! got it :-()

Googled pics of Hyacinth bean/Lablab bean with that smilie -- hilum? -- looks exactly like the way this one looked when dry. I hope it germinates :bouncey:

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Yep! And I think !potatoes! got it :-()

Googled pics of Hyacinth bean/Lablab bean with that smilie -- hilum? -- looks exactly like the way this one looked when dry. I hope it germinates :bouncey:
Well apple let me know how it goes. Planning to try planting those!

Return to “Plant Identification”