mrobinson
Newly Registered

Bird seed weeds

Hi,

I've got some weeds growing below my bird feeder. It's spread all along the flower bed and pushed through gaps in the brickwork, breaking up the wall. It's managed to migrate into the edge of my lawn too.

Can anybody identify this?

Will standard weedkiller kill it completely? I'm a bit worried about it, as the roots break apart when you pull at them and the soil is full of little offshoots from the roots.

Would you re-use this soil with all the root offshoots in?

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Still looking. I would just keep pulling. The weed killer would likely kill the smaller ones!

Is is blooming and seeding, or just spreading via roots?

KeyWee

Looks like senna, but I am really not sure if that's a seed ingredient in commercial bird seed. This is why I only use black oil sunflower seed in my feeders. That way, you are always certain what's going to grow under your feeder. If it IS senna, it does spread a lot.

applestar
Mod

I look at those and think -- OOHHH look at those luscious GREENS for the compost pile and green mulch for under big plants and on top of cardboard..... I would never poison and ruin them with herbicide. Ha.

Besids, birds peck at stuff on the ground under the bird feeder. Weed killer could be toxic for the birds you are attracting and wanting to admire/enjoy.

Cut off at ground level and put down some cardboard -- pizza box works well in narrow spaces, folded paper grocery bags in even narrower spaces. Cover/hide with decorative mulch if deemed necessary.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

A little funny for you...

There was a local news story this morning where an elderly lady was reported for growing marijuana, but it can from her birdseed! She had no idea what she had growing!!!

Return to “Plant Identification”