Stephen111725

Identify this plant

What type of plant is this
Attachments
20160504_155914.jpeg

applestar
Mod

It's rainbowgardener's favorite! :kidding: LMFAO GARLIC MUSTARD

It's basically a weed, though interesting and can be eaten as wild early spring forage -- pungent garlicky -- when young. It grows as low rosette first year and sends up a flower stalk in 2nd year like yours and scatter seeds all over the place if allowed to mature.

Notice the difference in the leaf shapes -- lower down vs. upper.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

She mocks me! :) It is indeed garlic mustard, one of the plants I have spent hours and days eradicating on my service trips to National Parks. But garlic mustard was originally brought here as a pot herb by the European settlers. It is quite edible
Garlic mustard greens are very nutritious as they have substantial amounts of vitamins A, C, E and some of the B vitamins. In addition this wild weed contains potassium, calcium, magnesium, selenium, copper, iron and manganese as well as omega-3 fatty acids.

Alliaria petiolata (garlic mustard) has European ‘roots’ and was inevitably introduced to the U.S. by early settlers. It was used as a vegetable for its high vitamin A and C content. This garlic-flavored plant was widely used in cooking, and was also used to prevent erosion. This versatile wild edible was once used for medicinal purposes, treating gangrene and ulcers.

Check out the health benefits from eating this amazing wild edible:

Excellent for controlling weight
Improves the health of your heart
Lowers cholesterol
Thins the blood
May help prevent cancer
Strengthens the immune system
- See more at: https://www.ediblewildfood.com/blog/2012 ... nCjuP.dpuf

Return to “Plant Identification”