Greenpassion
Newly Registered

Plant ID please & maintenance tips

Hello,

Could anyone please ID this potted plant and also give me some maintenance tips? I have bought it a week ago, all was fine with it until a few days ago when it started to get this way (please refer to the attached picture).

Thanks and have a lovely day!

Michelle
Attachments
flower.jpg

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Those are impatiens. They would be SO much happier outside in part shade with lots of room their roots to roam!

Your plant looks pretty rootbound to me... It won't last long like that. What are you doing for light for it?

imafan26
Mod

I did not even recognize it as an impatience, mine don't trail. It looks like a sun impatiens. It is a misnomer since the sun impatiens doesn't like to be in the sun.

Greenpassion
Newly Registered

Hello all and thanks for your quick replies!

I placed it both outside, into the sun, on my balcony, and seeing it doesn't d any good for it, I put it back into the house, but close to a window, where it can get sun and light. I also watered it quite often, it seemed to get better for one day, then it went back to its bad shape. :( I really want to save it, as it was gorgeous when I bought it.

So, into the sun or on a shady place? Outside or inside? How often shall I water it?

Have a great week,
Michelle

Greenpassion
Newly Registered

Hello all and thanks for your quick replies!

I placed it both outside, into the sun, on my balcony, and seeing it doesn't d any good for it, I put it back into the house, but close to a window, where it can get sun and light. I also watered it quite often, it seemed to get better for one day, then it went back to its bad shape. :( I really want to save it, as it was gorgeous when I bought it.

So, into the sun or on a shady place? Outside or inside? How often shall I water it?

Any special mix soil after changing its pot?

Have a great week,
Michelle

imafan26
Mod

If it has been in the sam pot for a while, it is probably pot bound. It needs to be repotted, you can trim the top and roots down so it will fit the same pot. Get some good potting soil, I like Miracle grow potting mix and some slow release plant fertilizer. I like osmocote. You will only need a teaspoon every 3-6 months.

Make sure you get potting soil and not garden soil. Garden soil is compost and should not be planted in directly.

It is better off outside though in the shade. Sun impatiens take less sun than regular impatiens. They like rich evenly moist soil and are good where they will only get morning sun or dappled shade under a tree.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I agree it would be happiest in the ground with dappled shade. Our are so happy there! If you put it out in full sun, especially if it's root bound, it's not going to be happy.
If you want to keep it in a pot, get one that's 2 times that size, like a 5 gallon would be nice. Dollar store has pretty ones for $8 here! Fill it with potting soil, and go put it out under a shady tree. Not inside. Not happy inside.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

If it get pretty hot there, I would water it daily, if you stay pretty cool, I would check the soil, if it's moist, let it be, don't water.if the top inch or so is dry, water it.

Make sure your pot has drainage!

Greenpassion
Newly Registered

Good morning plant and flower lovers,

Thanks you for all the tips! I will follow each of it and hopefully my once a beautiful plant will recover, although I couldn't stand to see it trailing, so I cut all those stems. :( I hope though the ones left will bloom and be gorgeous yet again.

Have a god day or night :) all of you,
Michelle

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

It looks like a New Guinea Impatiens, a plant that likes more sun than I. walleriana.

Return to “Plant Identification”