A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

Toxohexadendron (Mystery Plant!) >> Mayapple

Hi, I have this plant at my house that I have named toxohexadendron, toxohex for short. It gave me contact dermatitis (a rash) after I touched it. It seems to spread by rhizomes, as patches are dense. I would have a photo of a patch, but I had to trim down the photo size to one plant. It doesn't always have six leaves--babies start out with 2 leaves, and as they grow they get up to 10 leaves in this rosette. White veins and a white center and stem. Sometimes the center is purplish, other times all green. Photo attached--can you ID this plant?
Attachments
The plant from above
The plant from above

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

Stem isn't very short, maybe a quarter foot to half a foot tall, so they have a visible stem. I have a lot on my property and want to know what these are.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Looks like mayapple. Very pretty, very toxic.

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

Yes! You did it! I've been looking at the stuff for years and wondering what the heck gave me a rash and now I know. It is mayapple. So why did it give me a rash? From what I read it isn't supposed to...

told2b

Warnings:
Before taking Mayapple, tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding
Mayapple can be toxic (poisonous) to the liver and kidneys (2)
Mayapple can be toxic even if placed on the skin. Do not place large amounts on the skin (1,2)

Side Effects:

Stop taking your medicine right away and talk to your doctor if you have any of the following side effects. Your medicine may be causing these symptoms which may mean you are allergic to it.
Breathing problems or tightness in your throat or chest
Chest pain
Skin hives, rash, or itchy or swollen skin

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

Ah. So I must be allergic to this plant since it gives me a poison-ivy-like rash. :|

Return to “Plant Identification”