pinksand
Greener Thumb

Spring Woodland Flowers

I've been trying to be better about taking photos of plants I notice while I'm out biking in the woods. Any help in guessing their identities would be appreciated :D

Here are some I've seen blooming in the past couple of weeks...

Spring Beauty?

Bunchberry?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

yes, spring beauty.

NO, definitely not bunchberry. Possibly wintergreen, but that's a guess. Are the leaves aromatic if you crush them?

??

bunchberry plant

https://macphailwoods.org/nature-guides/ ... unchberry/

bunchberry is a type of creeping dogwood and has leaves just like other dogwoods.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

My first guess was wintergreen but when I rubbed the leaves they didn't seem aromatic. Will they need to actually be crushed to smell them? I was also wearing mountain biking gloves so maybe the sweaty stench of the gloves masked the wintergreen lol (note: I do wash them they don't smell that bad). I'll take the gloves off next time ;)

You're definitely right that it isn't bunchberry. I knew it was in the dogwood family, just wasn't thinking I guess.

Any ideas for the little white flowers or the last plant?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think your ten petalled white flower is probably star chickweed.

I can't quite tell what I am looking at in the bottom picture, which leaves belong to the plant we are trying to identify. But just as a wild stab at it, could it be this:

cut leaf toothwort.

If not, maybe get us a better picture.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Yes! They're definitely Star Chickweed and Cut Leaf Toothwort!

It's a miracle that I got any photos at all... the people I ride with aren't very patient when it comes to my interest in the woodland flora :(

I'll definitely try to get a better sniff the next time I see the possible wintergreen plant. I've only seen that plant in the woods about an hour from my house, the others were seen close by and every spring I wonder what they could be. It's so good to find out that they're all native as well!

Return to “Plant Identification”