akhenaton
Newly Registered

Complete newbie in need of some help

Hello everyone

First of all, I know absolutely nothing about gardening. However, when I moved into my current home, the previous owner left these 3 huge plants on the balcony. They are beautiful!
The plants have an automatic irrigation system so I never did anything to them. It's been 2 years now since I moved in and about a month ago one of them started showing some signs that it wasn't doing well. I can see another plant growing on the same pot and I wonder if that's the problem.

Could you guys help me with
1 - identifying these plants
2 - helping me save the one in need ?

Thank you so very much for your kind help
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

imafan26
Mod

Bird nest fern, rhapis palm and what looks like ti or dracena.
If they have been in the pots for two years. it is time to repot. If they haven't been fertilized, you are lucky, they don't need much but need something else besides water.

The rhapis and dracena can be divided and you can make more plants. The bird nest usually just gets bigger. These plants were probably indoor outdoor plants because the birdnest and rhapis palms are showing signs of burning. The plant in the bird nest fern is a weed, pull it out. It looks like something was chewing on it. If you find it, identify it, kill it and throw some slug bait in the plant.

Put down a tarp. This can get messy.

The bird nest can be heavy so you may need some help. It needs to go in a bigger pot with a well drained soil mix. In the wild it grows in tree crotches and leaf litter. Peat moss, cinders, leaf mold is good and some slow release fertilizer. about a tablesoon cut off the older leaves but leave the center leaves.

You will need to muscle the rhapis palm out of its pot. Use a hand saw and saw the root in in sections. I start from the bottom and work my way up. You can try getting through the top but when it is that thick its is hard to get the saw in to cut. You want to divide it into smaller chunks. You may get 8 or 10 small ones or you can just go for quarters. You can put one of the quarters in the same pot with new potting soil ( Make sure you get potting soil) and palm fertilizer. You will need to get new pots for the division. Clean up the dead leaves. The stems should have the brown thatch on it so don't worry about that.
The dracena just needs a bigger pot and fresh potting soil and media. You can cut the top if it gets too tall and it will regrow and you can grow it from cuttings.

I you can move the pots into more shade that will help. They can be indoors but you will have to manage water and light, and that is harder to do if you don't know much about gardening.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

The oddball plant in the second picture is a nightshade plant and needs to go. It is a poisonous plant.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

unless there's kids or animals that might taste it, there's no real reason to take out the nightshade. just because it's poisonous doesn't make it dangerous to be around.

imafan26
Mod

It is still a weed in the bird nest fern.

Return to “Plant Identification”