TareqPhoto

What is this plant, please?

Sorry for many plants I posted asking about ID, but I need to identify the trees/plants I have so I can decide what I can do with them.

So what about this tree? the leaf is really strange, it reminds me so much with that leaf of Canada flag[maple?] but another family
Attachments
IMG_8911.jpg
IMG_8915.jpg
IMG_8912.jpg
Last edited by TareqPhoto on Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

TareqPhoto

And here is another pics of the same tree but smaller, not sure if it is really the same tree but kind of exact the same to me.
Attachments
IMG_8930.jpg
IMG_8933.jpg
IMG_8935.jpg

applestar
Mod

At first I thought the leaves were smaller -- sometimes hard to tell without size reference -- and the first photo with damaged leaves was confusing, but 2nd entire leaf looks almost certainly to be mulberry.

I'm moving this thread to Plant ID Forum since the tree appears to be full size and in-ground.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Maybe a fig?

applestar
Mod

I'mthinking ulberry because it seems to have both the divided/lobed leaves and child shaped leaves even though the lobed leaves do look somewhat like fig leaves.

There's an easy way to check -- fig will exude milky latex (white sticky sap) if a leaf or branch is broken or cut.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

...and mulberries will have yellowish wood.

the second one's definitely mulberry, I'd guess the first one is too.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

I guess there are different kinds of mulberry. I have a mulberry here and a friend and a cousin have mulberries at their places, but they don't look like these. The ones I've seen never have had leaves with separate lobes like the first picture. Maybe some types do that? They all looked like the leaf in the second pic but much bigger and deeper green. The bark on mine isn't that white, but I won't say it's dark bark either! Just out of curiosity, is fig related to mulberry?

Interestingly, I helped my cousin prune her mulberry tree once, and the first thing I noticed was how sticky the sap was. I thought you could almost use this as some kind of glue!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Mulberry trees are interesting because they can have three different leaf shapes on the same tree. All of these are mulberry leaves:

and yes, there are red mulberries, native where I am, white mulberries, the asian ones that silkworms feed on, and black mulberries (that I know of).

applestar
Mod

Remember, too, that this could be a species from your part of the world, and tropical too, that many of us may not be familiar with. We are only proposing possibilities based on our own experience and sometimes only by recognizing from photos we've seen.

Does anyone else have a possible candidate for this tree?

** did you try cutting it? Let's get the fig possibility sorted out. There are so many fig species....

TareqPhoto

Thank you very much!

I didn't check this thread since yesterday, I thought I am not getting answers yet, but here it is, good answers.

Sounds it is a Mulberry, when I checked out the fruit I found out that it is a very popular fruit or tree in my region, so I think it is that one, my kids like it, and I remember when I was a kid I was eating this plant fruit, tasty, but I forgot the look of the tree.

So as usual, I will take care of this plant until it gets back healthy and generate new leaves full of green and fruits, it may take time, could be 6 months or 1 year who knows, I am not in rush and I didn't plant it anyway, so whenever it will grow fine again then I will confirm what is this plant from the flowers or fruits.

TareqPhoto

I will check out if I can find a good leaf that is not damaged or full green and full shape from one of those trees and post a pic here, but I can't promise that I will find one in good shape, but I will give it a try and see.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

That's interesting. I didn't know mulberry could have different leaves like that. Most people around here grow mulberry as a big shade tree, not so much for the fruit. The one I have is supposed to get a 50 foot canopy (50 feet in diameter that is, not height) under ideal conditions. I don't think mine will ever achieve that without a lot more water though. I don't know what kind mine is.

I don't have any guess as to what the tree is though, I'm not too familiar with figs.

So many things to learn on this forum!

Return to “Plant Identification”