qklbt5
Newly Registered

What kind of plant is this and is it saveable? !

I brought this plant home from my work when I saw it appeared to be struggling. However, I am not very experienced and I am not sure how to save it. It keeps getting worse. I have repotted it.
Attachments
20151109_075812.jpg

applestar
Mod

Re: What kind of plant is this and is it saveable? !

Welcome to the forum! I think this looks like some kind of a succulent but not sure exactly what.

Hopefully someone else can give you a more definitive ID.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

imafan26
Mod

It looks like a kalanchoe. I think the pot is too big for the plant. Be careful, do not water until it is almost dry. Do not put a saucer under the pot and make sure it is allowed to drain completely. Fertilize with liquid plant food once a month. Place plant in very bright light, a south facing window is good but not in direct sunlight since it is not used to that. They like to be warm around 85 degrees. Keeping them under a lamp will give them light and warm them up some.
Below is a link on caring for kalanchoe.

https://www.krismers.com/Kalanchoe_care.pdf
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

qklbt5
Newly Registered

Thanks!

catgrass
Green Thumb

I have several kalanchoes and have found that pot size for them really isn't an issue. Yours appears to need more light-cut the long stems and stick them in the pot, they root easily and your plant will produce more leaves and branches. Easy on the watering. I have some planted in the ground where they receive afternoon shade in the summer, but full sun in the winter. They are putting on buds now. BUT, I am in zone 9.
zone 9 Southwest La.

imafan26
Mod

Thanks for chiming in catgrass. Usually, I like to keep things in smaller pots. Over watering is the biggest problem with most plants so I like to have small pots and well drained soil. For succulents I mostly use just cinder and terra cotta or cement pots as a counterweight and because they breathe.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Climate plays a big part. I do find that most succulents like a small pot. Sometimes my succulents tend to "rot off", cause we have so much rain and humidity here. I just leave them alone and eventually they fill the pot again. I know it sounds like a contradiction, but I just don't repot them when they die off, I just add more.
zone 9 Southwest La.

Return to “Plant Identification”