pinksand
Greener Thumb

Shrub with red berries

I saw this bush while hiking in the woods. The berries were so bright I saw it from a distance and had to bush wack a bit to get to it for the photo. The shrub was maybe about 5' tall and the leaves didn't really show any sign of fall color yet. They reminded me a bit of a witch hazel leaves in their shape, but I'm not aware of witch hazel having berries.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

it's a viburnum of some sort.

was going to say highbush cranberry, but the leaves aren't right. there are a number of other red-berried viburnums, though, as well a few with berries that are red for a while and then ripen to black...

told2b

It looks like linden viburnum (Viburnum dilatatum).

pinksand
Greener Thumb

That's definitely it! Thanks for the ID, but bummer that it isn't native since it was found in the woods... although not surprising!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It is too bad. There are a number of native viburnums, but this one is an Asian import and an invasive exotic.
Ecological threat: Shrubs can grow over 15 ft. high in thickets that cast dense shade, suppressing native shrubs, small trees and herbaceous vegetation. A dense cover of young plants produced from seed and vegetative re-growth often blankets the ground in infested areas. Linden viburnum leafs out earlier in the spring and keeps its leaves later into the fall than most native vegetation, giving it a competitive advantage.
Prevention and Control: Do not plant linden viburnum. Cutting should be avoided in spring because cut branches can reproduce by layering. Seedlings can be pulled up by hand. Seed heads should be removed from mature plants to prevent seed dispersal and seedling establishment.
https://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/pubs/mi ... c/vidi.htm

Return to “Plant Identification”