Baseballgary
Newly Registered

Sw ohio plant is

I just bought a new house with some old over grown gardens. Can someone help me determine if these are weeds or perennials
Attachments
image.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Weeds or perennials are not mutually exclusive categories. Many weeds are perennials, which just mean their life span is not limited to one (annual) or two (biennial) seasons, but they can come back year after year.

Weed is a matter of subjective judgement anyway - if you don't want it in that spot, then it is a weed.

Your plant is a native perennial wildflower, white snakeroot, Ageratina altissima, which some people consider a weed, since it spreads pretty prolifically.

It is somewhat toxic to animals, though it doesn't necessarily kill them, unless eaten in very large quantities. But if cows eat them in their fodder, the toxin is passed on in the milk, causing a disease of humans called milk sickness. But if you don't live in an area of cows, not much of an issue.

I had a lot of it in my backyard where I used to live (also SW Ohio). When it blooms in late summer, it is gorgeous -- those white flowers are a very brilliant white. When you have a lot, it makes a kind of glowing field. The rest of the year, it is pretty non descript and weedy looking.

Baseballgary
Newly Registered

Great thanks for the help now what about this one.
Attachments
image.jpg

pinksand
Greener Thumb

I'm actually wondering if the first flower for ID is actually Hardy Ageratum (aka Mist Flower) rather than Snakeroot? It may just be my screen but the one in the center looks very blue/purple with some white blooms surrounding it that could either be snakeroot or the white variety of ageratum. OP, do they appear white in person or are they blue/lavender in color?

What do you think RBG?

As for the second photo, I'm not sure what it is but I get them in my garden as well and usually pull them because they pop up in odd places. I'll have to follow this thread to see if you get an ID for my benefit as well ;)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Baseball g. will have to confirm , but I am thinking that the blue-ish tint is at least partly an artifact of how the sun and shadow are in the photo .

Second one looks very familiar , but I can't come up with it right now .

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

since no one has id'd your second one, it would help if you post another picture when those buds open up...

Baseballgary
Newly Registered

Yes. The flowers are all white. The second photo is attached no open flowers yet.
Attachments
image.jpg

Return to “Plant Identification”