pinksand
Greener Thumb

Mystery vine

I discovered this vine growing amidst some cone flowers and pulled it when I was weeding. It actually looks very much like the Carolina Jessamine I was recently gifted but it wasnt anywhere near where the baby starts are located. If it is Jessamine I'll plant it with the others, but I'd like to be sure it isn't something horrible instead.

USDA Zone 7a, Sunset Zone 32
"The earth laughs in flowers" -Ralph Waldo Emerson

KeyWee

Re: Mystery vine

It sure looks like Jessamine to me ~ I just looked at mine for comparison and it is the same. Maybe you dropped a piece when planting your new starts (heehee). How are the babies doing, btw?

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Haha, it looks just like mine as well ;)

I pulled it thinking it was honeysuckle, but as I was pulling it I realized the leaves definitely weren't honeysuckle but it looked really familiar! I went ahead and planted it with the babies you gave me and figured I'd just pull it back up if someone here had a different ID. I found it on the complete opposite end of the house and it seems a bit farther along than the babies you gave me so it must have been a volunteer!

I lost a couple of the babies you gave me :( I think our house sitter didn't notice the farthest one when watering while we were in HI. It's been super dry so they don't look amazing right now, but they're hanging in there and I'm trying to keep them well watered! A few have new growth at the bottom. I just need them to establish some good roots before winter and then hopefully they'll really start taking off next spring :)
USDA Zone 7a, Sunset Zone 32
"The earth laughs in flowers" -Ralph Waldo Emerson

KeyWee

Sounds like your new babies will make it just fine. You can always get more from me in the spring if you need to. I find that a lot of plants propagate more easily in the early part of the year when they are prone to faster growth. But truly, ya can't kill this stuff and I think there is plenty of time for the roots to get established before winter.

Return to “Plant Identification”