Rmmkgiar
Newly Registered

Please help ID this one too

What is it and are the berries poisonous? Thank you!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

AGAIN - WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED???? Plants differ around the USA & around the world. Can't help you if we don't know where you are.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Nandina domestica or heavenly bamboo. From what I've read the berries do have some levels of toxicity. They're more dangerous if consumed in large quantities. What is your specific concern, pets or children?

With all due respect GardeningCook, some new members may have no idea how important location is when it comes to advice on the forum. It's information that many new members leave out and it gets frustrating, but that doesn't mean the poster doesn't deserve a warm welcome.

To the OP, it does help tremendously if you include your location as we have members around the world and plant species vary greatly in different areas.
Last edited by pinksand on Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Nandina-the berries are poisonous to humans, I think, but the birds love them.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

purpleinopp wrote:Exotic invasive.
The berries are toxic to some birds also:
https://ar.audubon.org/nandina-berries-kill-birds
Yes - I have heard this Nandina bird toxicity as well, thus have never bought or planted Nandina. I do recall while working at a local plantation/estate museum that they had quite a few Nandina plantings, the berry-laden branches of which they used to use in the museum for Xmas decorations. All of the plants were covered with berries well into the following Spring, most likely (I would hope) because the birds were smart enough to avoid them.

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

As a personal anecdote, my experience has been similar. There's a patch of them in my Mom's yard & I rented a house for about 7 yrs with one in the front that I never could kill (or dig adjacent to natural gas line/meter.) The berries never disappeared, until they just fell off eventually. In spots where they can be dug, it's a really tough thing to do, their wood is very hard, & will probably require follow-up of missed chunk of root soon after. Spreads underground via hard, woody, deeply-rooted rhizomes or stolons, eventually forming a ever-widening patch, at least the kind we've been unlucky to inherit at that rented house & at Mom's house. Glad I moved away from "mine."

Return to “Plant Identification”