pinksand
Greener Thumb

Flower IDs for my aunt

My aunt recently bought a house with a beautiful garden and has been trying to ID some of the plants that are coming up. She lives in Colorado outside of Denver and I believe is in hardiness zone 6a.

These were the ones I couldn't ID...

The plant in question is the stock with ferny leaves coming out. It looks so familiar to me but maybe because it reminds me a bit of cosmos?

The flowers for id are the pink ones with long leaves.

Obviously this one will be much easier to ID once it blooms but I figured I'd put it out there in case it looked familiar to anyone.

applestar
Mod

I was going to say that first one isn't cosmos?

2nd one -- does it look like Scilla?

I thought the 3rd one was hydrangea, but maybe not?

...haha reading that over, I don't sound like I know anything at all :roll:

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Haha, I was also thinking hydrangea for the last one! The leaves certainly look like a macro. It looked a bit more spread out though from the base so I wasn't sure if it was individual plants. I haven't seen any of these in person, my mom took the photos when she visited. I'm sure she'll find out soon enough if it is a hydrangea!

I wish I had a better photo of the second flower. Looking up scilla I'm not sure... it looks close.

Are cosmos likely to reseed? She moved in last fall so I was thinking it had to be a perennial which is what threw me off from my cosmos guess.

Mr_bobo_

First one can be annual Delphinium... they grow like that...
Second one, hmm some bulb? Picture need be better. Scilla is not, they don't bloom in this part of year.
Third one I would say Physalis...

pinksand
Greener Thumb

It looks like Scilla can bloom anytime between early spring to early summer depending on the variety. Scilla hispanica 'Rosabella' is a pink variety that blooms late spring/early summer. The thing I'm not sure about is the flower shape as it doesn't seem to quite match the photos I'm seeing online for Scilla.

I think you might be right about the annual delphinum! I grew some a few years ago and I recall it looking very similar now that you mention it.

I'm not sure about the last one being Physalis. The edges of the leaves in the photo look smoother than the serrated leaves I'm looking at for Physalis.

Mr_bobo_

Physalis do not necessarily have bit lobed edges of leaves like on google. There is different varieties.
Mine at home have smooth edges.

Second picture is not Scilla 100% . Look at the flower structure. ;)
It can be little Allium - they come in yellow color as well and they need full sun btw.
https://www.aphotoflora.com/mon_allium_o ... _leek.html
- example

Return to “Plant Identification”