Agavegal
Newly Registered

Beautiful but I've never seen it before >> Sisyrinchium stri

image.jpg
:) This plant volunteered in my garden. I've searched all my resources and can't identify it. It has been blooming for the whole month of May here in Northern California.
Does anyone recognize it?

Agavegal
Newly Registered

Here is a close up of the flowers. I would love to know what it is.
Attachments
image.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Check this out, your photo looks like this Sisyrinchium striatum. Satin flower. The flowers in your picture are small so compare the morphology to see if it might be this.

https://www.pnwplants.wsu.edu/PlantDispl ... lantID=498

Agavegal
Newly Registered

Thank you so much that is the flower in question! :-()

mahniah
Newly Registered

The foliage sure looks like iris. I know there's an iris family that's often referred to as lily because of the flower. So maybe that's what you've got. Did you check the root type?

told2b

applestar
Mod

I'm so glad you knew the Latin name for this plant @told2b! :D

I have the blue-flowered kind which is a native plant in NJ, and I have been rescuing them from among the lawn grass and allowing them to grow. I only remember it as "Blue-eyed Grass" so I wasn't sure how to describe the OP's yellow flowered one which I immediately recognized as a kindred species. :wink:

They really do look like grass, but the flat leaves make them easy to recognize even when they are not in bloom. My blue ones are blooming all over the garden right now, including some large clumps in the Spiral Garden among the peas, onions, and tomato plants. :-()

applestar
Mod

*** OK this is going to look a bit odd ***

Apparently the close up of the flower post had been accidentally posted as a separate thread so replies were posted independently of the original OP post. I also replied to the "close up" thread and then realized that there must be a previous post regarding this plant.

I have now merged/combined the two threads and the forum shuffles the posts together according to the time stamp. so the timeline of the comments won't look right, but the topic is now in the same place. :wink:

Return to “Plant Identification”