Allyn
Green Thumb

Climbing Vine Ident

We moved into a house a few months ago and we know the previous owners gardened a bit -- what and how extensively, I don't know. This vine is growing up the lattice and reaching for anything on which to climb higher. I want to identify it before deciding if it needs to be ripped out.

Thanks in advance. :)

LIcenter

Looks like Trumpet vine to me. It does put out nice tulip shaped flowers that Humming birds love, BUT! It will do a lot of damage if planted too close to any structure you want to keep intact.

KeyWee

While it does look a bit like trumpet vine, I think it may be lygodium japonicum ~ Japanese climbing fern. It does not have flowers of any significance. Got a piece of this last year and while I love the lacy texture, I am in z7a and don't think it will be a problem. In warmer zones, it is invasive and can get to 90 feet! Google it and see, but this one is gonna be your call!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Good job, Kee Wee! I first thought trumpet creeper also, then looked closer and decided it wasn't, but didn't know what it was.

LIcenter

KeyWee wrote:While it does look a bit like trumpet vine, I think it may be lygodium japonicum ~ Japanese climbing fern. It does not have flowers of any significance. Got a piece of this last year and while I love the lacy texture, I am in z7a and don't think it will be a problem. In warmer zones, it is invasive and can get to 90 feet! Google it and see, but this one is gonna be your call!
Really! I don't know why I try to answer these questions, as I'm always wrong. :roll:

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Compare to pepper vine, Ampelopsis arborea.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

LIcenter wrote:
KeyWee wrote:While it does look a bit like trumpet vine, I think it may be lygodium japonicum ~ Japanese climbing fern. It does not have flowers of any significance. Got a piece of this last year and while I love the lacy texture, I am in z7a and don't think it will be a problem. In warmer zones, it is invasive and can get to 90 feet! Google it and see, but this one is gonna be your call!
Really! I don't know why I try to answer these questions, as I'm always wrong. :roll:
You always need to click on the picture to enlarge it and then pay careful attention to detail:

OP's image:
climbing vine.jpg
climbing vine.jpg (59.26 KiB) Viewed 12502 times

trumpet creeper leaves:
https://www.jeffpippen.com/plants/campsi ... 7facez.jpg

trumpet creeper vine:
https://stellasyard.com/wp-content/uploa ... iage-1.jpg

If you click on the OP image to enlarge it and then click again to enlarge more, you will see that those leaves are much more deeply lobed and serrated, which gives the plant a much fernier, featherier appearance.

imafan26
Mod

Good job guys. I have learned something new which is what is great about this forum. I have never seen a trumpet creeper vine or flower. But it sounds like the best advice would still be to pull it out if it may be a problem for the house.

My experience with any fern to make sure all of the rhizomes are taken out, even a little piece left behind will grow back.

Allyn
Green Thumb

LIcenter wrote: Really! I don't know why I try to answer these questions, as I'm always wrong. :roll:
No worries. :) I appreciate the input. Thank you for taking the time to give me your thoughts on it.

This looks like it matches the picture, yes?
https://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/node/639

I thought it might be something I had to pull. I like the fern-like lacy leaves. They're pretty and it grew with absolutely no attention. In fact, it grew even after the area was macheted . . . . twice. Murphy's Law of gardening, yes? If a plant is that vigorous, it's probably something I don't want.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

" If a plant is that vigorous, it's probably something I don't want." :)

Indeed! Even ones that are not exotics, you have to watch out for when they are so vigorous. I made the mistake of planting a trumpet creeper vine to grow up my house. It is a native vine with flowers that hummingbirds love and later seeds that feed finches and chickadees in winter. But it got huge and was swallowing up my house. It climbs with arial rootlets that were getting in to roof shingles, etc. When I finally gave up and cut it down, the main trunk was at least 3 inches in diameter.

So be careful with rampant vines growing near your house!

KeyWee

rainbow ~ thank you for the accolades, but it is rare I know the name unless I have the plant myself. I am no great identifier, but I just got this last year so of course, did the research ~ I really like this plant.
Llcenter ~ ALL input is appreciated. This is how we get together and learn from each other. This was ONLY a lucky one-hit-wonder for me!
rainbow ~ I have trumpet vines (yellow and orange) but I keep them standardized. Although I will say that for every branch you lop off, a sucker is going to show up somewhere, guaranteed.
Allyn, welcome and I am glad to have been a help to you. Let us know if you keep the vine!

LIcenter

Thanks for making me feel a little better about my blunders everyone. Yes I was too quick to jump on that pony, and did click on the pic after KeeWee's post. I then realized my mistake. I have a yellow & orange trumpet vine also, and let me tell you, those shoots can grow anywhere! When I built my deck I kept the deck boards tight. So tight you cannot slip a penny between each board. So my warning is; If you are not into weedwacking your deck, don't plant this monster! ;-)

KeyWee

Truer words were never spoken! Our orange trumpet is next to the old part of the deck and ~ yup ~ I am always pulling and cutting, only to have it pop up under another board. I have learned to live with it ............... but DON'T plant it there in the FIRST place:)))

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

I agree, if it's Japanese climbing fern, it's not a keeper in the US.

The link you posted says it's on FL's noxious weed list.
https://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/node/639
https://texasinvasives.org/plant_databas ... ymbol=LYJA
https://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/plan ... fern.shtml

Allyn
Green Thumb

KeyWee wrote: ...
Allyn, welcome and I am glad to have been a help to you. Let us know if you keep the vine!

Thank you. :) Actually, I've been a member since 2009. I guess I'm the queen of lurkers. :) We just moved to a piece of property on which I can really get a decent garden going, so you'll be hearing more from me. :)

rainbowgardener wrote: ...So be careful with rampant vines growing near your house!
Exactly! I learned my lesson with ivy. It can really tear a house apart.

LIcenter wrote:Thanks for making me feel a little better about my blunders everyone. ...
I thank you. You posted first and if you'd nailed it, no one else would have posted and it wouldn't have turned into a conversation. So thank you. :)

purpleinopp wrote:I agree, if it's Japanese climbing fern, it's not a keeper in the US. The link you posted says it's on FL's noxious weed list.
Yes, it is; and I'm not going to keep it. As lovely as it is, that article convinced me it has to go. The spores are tiny and easily carried by the wind so if I don't deal with it, it will spread. The wind probably carried it here and it got a foothold. There are two seasons here: hot and freakin' hot; so that vine could turn into one of those 90-footers mentioned in the article. It's one of those plants that will take over in "Life After People."

LIcenter

I just have to say Allyn. It was a pleasure talking to you. You have the ability to carry a smile in your written words. Very rare on a lot of these sites. Be well, and good luck with your new venture.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Looks like climbing fern to me-Totally uncontrollable. Round up doesn't kill it dead enough. If that is what it is, you can't get rid of it-very agressive will climb on anything.

firemanswife7
Newly Registered

I was wondering what plant I have that popped up in my garden. I now know its a trumpet vine for sure. But its not in a nice place. That Japonica vine is cool but no thank you. Why is it so many plants from China and Japan are invasive.. Kudzu here is from China and its eating the south. The flowers make great jelly though.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

"Why is it so many plants from China and Japan are invasive? "

Because they are separated from their local eco-system. Where they originated and evolved, there were things that evolved with them that ate them, both larger animals, but especially herbivorous insects, and there were diseases that they were prone to. And there were competitors in their niches. E.g. Japanese honeysuckle shrub is taking over the midwest US, partly because it is the first thing to leaf out in the spring and the last thing to lose its leaves in the fall. So it out-competes everything else. I imagine in Japan, it had competitors that did the same thing. All those things kept them in check. Pluck them out of their eco-system, away from all the insects and diseases and competitors that used to control them and they run rampant.

I would guess in Asia they wonder why all the western plants are so invasive....

Return to “Plant Identification”