APretender
Newly Registered

Are these weeds

So I started building a few more raised beds and my in-laws decided to backfill them with soil from the yard. It had weeds and grass seeds in it. So I'm trying to identify these plants. I'm fairly certain they're weeds I would just like to know what kinds.
IMG_4396.JPG
IMG_4397.JPG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well, it depends on how you define "weed" (which is sort of like beauty - in the eye of the beholder). I'm not sure about the first picture, but the second is lamb's quarter's, aka wild spinach. It is a tasty and extremely nutritious edible "weed," with more Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, calcium, and protein than spinach:

https://skipthepie.org/vegetables-and-ve ... h-raw/#nut

MarcP2

That first one sure reminds me of some kind of Persicaria but I can't find a match.

applestar
Mod

I was going to say it reminds me of Lady's Thumbprint, a Polygonum... But I see now that its Latin name is Polygonum persicaria, so I guess I have the same idea as MarkP2 :D
:arrow: https://courses.missouristate.edu/pbtrew ... sthumb.htm

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

DITTO RBG _ "Eye of the beholder" It really does not matter what it is - if it is growing where you do not want it to grow or you do not like it then it is a weed.

Good luck

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Another vote for the top plant to be some variety of Persicaria. While not exactly toxic, some people have adverse reactions to them when/if ingested.

The bottom one - "Lamb's Quarters", a Chenopodium - is considered a forager's delight & the young leaves & plant tips are frequently used as a spinach substitute. It's popular enough that some seed vendors sell seed for it to be purposely planted in the veg or herb garden. Definitely a prime example of how fuzzy/blurred the definitions of weed vs. useful plant can be.

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Most of the definitions are proliferated by folks who sell garden chemicals and grass seed, coincidentally the same folks who also aim to profit from every bite everyone takes.

Return to “Plant Identification”