MarcP2

Wild Plants in Woods

I just took these photos yesterday. Plant one is all over the forest floor and looks very familiar but I can't ID it.

You see it again in the Plant 2 photo but I am wonder if the other plant is some kind of wild geranium?

Plant 3 also looks familiar, like plantain but I don't think it is.
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (68.08 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
2.jpg
This is the plant I'm most interested in IDing.
This is the plant I'm most interested in IDing.

MarcP2

Maybe #1 is sweet cicely of some kind.

applestar
Mod

Look at the little seedlings around #1 -- definitely in the carrot family -- maybe Queen Ann's Lace? Do you have Golden Alexander around there?

#2 does look like wild geranium....

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Hi Marc! Glad you're out wild-plant-spotting again this spring.

Got an Oenothera vibe from #1.

MarcP2

Hi Applestar and purpleinopp. It does looks like we have Golden Alexander in this county and in every nearby county, although I've never heard of it. I will definitely be watching for it. I went back to the park today and rubbed the leaves of Plant 1 and there is a strong anise smell. Now, we have both Osmorhiza claytonii and Osmorhiza longistylis in this area and websites seem to have a difference of opinion as to which one smells like anise.
purpleinopp, I think Oenothera is a most excellent vibe!

applestar
Mod

I took pictures of a clump from my Golden Alexanders in the Wet Feet Wildflowers Bed

(A little sprouted seedling near the dry leaf. Rounded pairs of seedleaves are Jewelweed)
image.jpg
image.jpg
In the wild, you may see leftover seedstalk like the one in the picture. I leave them all standing during the winter for the birds.

Smushed leaf smelled like carrot greens. :wink:

MarcP2

I had a lot of jewelweed on my corner lot but the city cut it all down. I suppose it will regrow this summer. One of my favorite weeded areas was blocked this winter (possibly on purpose) when a tree fell across the drive. I'm debating on parking nearby and climbing over the tree, but the last time I was there, a cop stopped and asked me what I was doing. Then he said a woman who disappeared was last seen in that area.

Nemi
Cool Member

I just posted a pic similar to your plant 1 - curious about this as well. The center of mine looks like a stem or flower is forming.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think you may be right about the sweet cicely. All the parts of the ones I am familiar with smell like anise.

https://science.halleyhosting.com/nature ... eroi3a.jpg

I have tried to start it on my property, but it is another one of those acid lovers....

Return to “Plant Identification”