birdgirlca
Newly Registered

Help Identify a Plant Please

This plant grew in Southern California and attracted loads of hummingbirds (and others!) Have relocated to Northern Cal and would like to establish a like garden, but haven't seen it in a nursery. Have no idea what to ask for. Does anyone know what this is? Thank you! Sarah
Attachments
2015-Plant-to-ID.png

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm not at all sure on this and someone should check me. But unfortunately, it is possible this is purple loosestrife:

https://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/cropprot/weedg ... es/70b.jpg

If so, it's unfortunate because it is a highly invasive exotic that is actually illegal to plant in many locations.

birdgirlca
Newly Registered

Thank you for your reply. It does look similar, however, I am somewhat hesitant about the ID as it was planted in a raised bed by a professional landscaper, and the blooms look too full. I hope you are wrong anyway :-) However, if correct, it would explain why it is not seen in nurseries I've been to! Thanks again, Sarah

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Check Mexican Salvia. I'm on a borderline area for it, and have had a couple hang in.

Mine go down in winter, now starting to show life, get tallish, bloom late summer until frost. They are a magnet for traveling Monarchs and hummers. Another perk is the stems can be picked and kept as dried flowers, keeping their color.

Hope this helps! If not this I am thinking something close to it!

told2b

Salvia leucantha seems like a good fit.
https://I.imgur.com/0FSSA6E.jpg

birdgirlca
Newly Registered

Thank you Susan W and told2b - Salvia leucantha, aka Mexican Sage, is a positive ID. I received a response from a local nursery as well! Sarah

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Good! - I said I wasn't very sure. Glad I was wrong!! This is much better news.

Return to “Plant Identification”