HGrep

last backyard tree

Ok sorry all,
I really tried to find this one myself, but I came up empty (I always try to search on my own before I post something). I found trees with 4 petal yellow flowers but the center looked very different. Anyways, if anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.
Attachments
20150419_181030.jpg

cdog222
Cool Member

I think I know this one! Looks like a forsythia. They are all over in my neck of the woods - beautiful, but they do get a little unwieldy if they are in a space meant for something smallish.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You are right, cdog, it is forsythia. It is a shrub, not a tree. Yours is not doing very well, hgrep. It should be covered in flowers:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... rzo-01.jpg

They get shrub sized, not tree sized, no more than 10 feet tall, usually less. And they are easy to keep pruned to smaller size. But yours will need a lot of TLC if it is to thrive.
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HGrep

It's funny, I don't even really consider these shrubs and trees as being mine. This is sitting in a far corner behind the large privacy evergreens that I am trying to identify. I don't know, everything in this area looks pretty bad. We bought the house and I didn't even realize this shrub (not tree ;) ) was there. It doesn't have a lot of room and isn't even really visible. It's set back diagonal to the evergreens and has a large oak tree blocking it from view. I am trying to decide what to do with the perimeter of the yard, so we'll see its fate.
Thanks so much for the ID!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Maybe its problem is that it is not getting enough sun. They are full sun plants.

HGrep

The spot is very shady. Maybe I will try my hand at reviving it. I do like the picture you posted. I'll see if I can find a spot for it. Thanks so much. I really learn a lot from this forum as a newbie.

Return to “Plant Identification”