I'm pretty sure it's a fungus/mushroom. It *might* be lobster claw mushroom... At least that's what first came to mind, but looking around the net images, I can't find any that look like yours, so I have no idea.
In addition, now that I am paying attention, I see you said this was found in South Africa -- wow now I REALLY have no idea!
I would NOT rely on anyone to tell you if a mushroom is poisonous or not over the Internet. You need an expert to actually look at it and make whatever identification tests they need to do.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.