benb
Newly Registered

Forest plant -- looks like a paw

Theres a bunch of these growing in my woods. What are they?

Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_20140912_164115126.jpg

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Maybe Thalictrum.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Perhaps columbine, aquilegia? Even though they look delicate, are quite hardy. Mine have slightly purplish stems.

MarcP2

I agree with purpleinopp. Especially based on where it seems to be growing, it sure looks like what I have concluded is rue anemone (Thalictrum thalictroides) in my wooded area. At least some sort of Thalictrum.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, I thought about columbine. Some of them have leaves pretty similar, but they are usually divided into leaflets.

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Columbine leaves are very similar, but those plants are usually dormant by now, an early spring entity, if memory serves. Don't think I've seen any in AL, any time of year.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

My columbines are leafy and green now. A few may have kept some green even last winter. There are a few self seeding and trying to take over. I did dig some babies out, potted up to sell at the market. These are the native, red with yellow blooms. I also have one blue with white I bought as a start a couple years back. It's a survivor, and needs some TLC. I'm letting it be until next season (what I say to too much of the garden area!).

Return to “Plant Identification”