pinksand
Greener Thumb

Yellow Fall Blooming Flower

Unfortunately I don't have a photo, but I'll do my best to describe the plant...

The plant itself has dark green, long, thin but sturdy leaves... remind me a bit of rosemary leaves in their structure or kind of like blazing star. The plant is maybe about 5' tall and bushy, but seems to come from a single stock. The whole thing is absolutely covered with gorgeous yellow flowers right now. The flowers look like black eyed susans or daisies in structure, whith a dark center, but the petals may be a bit more round.

My neighbor was worried it was a weed in her garden and we've been debating all season until it finally bloomed (probably started about a week ago, so late Sept).
USDA Zone 7a, Sunset Zone 32
"The earth laughs in flowers" -Ralph Waldo Emerson

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Re: Yellow Fall Blooming Flower

Actually, now that I finally got around to posting this question, I think I've solved the mystery myself. I'm pretty sure this plant is Helianthus salicifolius 'First Light.' A lot of info I'd seen on the plant said it only grows to 3' but I've also seen some that say 4-5' and this plant is actually probably closer to 4'.
USDA Zone 7a, Sunset Zone 32
"The earth laughs in flowers" -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to “Plant Identification”