tovfla
Cool Member

Wild berries edible?

I saw this plant in Miami and was wondering what type of plant it is and if the berries are edible?
Attachments
berries.jpg
berries.jpg (30.98 KiB) Viewed 4191 times

JosephsGarden
Cool Member

My "Eating Wild Foods Protocol" goes something like this:

1- Cut the fruit and smell it. If it smells nasty throw it away.
2- Touch the cut side to the inside of a wrist. If a rash or itching develops before the next morning, don't eat it.
3- Touch a piece of cut fruit to your tongue. If it tastes bitter spit and don't eat any more. Rinse mouth out.
4- Pay attention to your body for a couple hours. If everything seems normal taste a larger sample.
5- Pay attention to your body for a day or two. If everything seems normal use with observation.

I know, naughty me for suggesting that people can actually taste unknown foods. I taste lots of poisonous things. I spit them out and don't taste them again. The worst I ever tasted was a vine ripened potato berry. It was very smooth on the tongue, but quite emetic.

tovfla
Cool Member

Good tips, thanks!

Wombat

It looks a bit like an aronia or chokeberry.......hard to tell exactly. I also agree with Joseph's protocol, :)

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

kinda late in the season for aronia - especially for florida.

Nell83
Newly Registered

That looks like Boxwood. I wouldn't eat the berries. Not supposed to be very good for you.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Oh, good job! English boxwood does have black berries like that. I've never seen them, because my boxwood never produces berries.

If it is boxwood, those berries are mildly toxic to humans and severely toxic to grazing animals.

durlabh
Newly Registered

Yes, it is edible. About 2 years ago on my way to play tennis, I saw an old lady eating it. I asked her if it is safe to eat this berry. She said yes, she has been eating it for years. I tried a few berries. It tasted ok. Thereafter, when ever I pass by those berry bushes from mid-April to August, I having eating them. Now, I like the taste of them.

Return to “Plant Identification”