anthony901
Newly Registered

Evil tree-like weeds overrunning my lawn/garden

I've attached a picture of these evil tree-like weeds that are growing EVERYWHERE in my lawn, garden, and section of vines. In the picture, my vines are nice and smooth edged and waxy, the evil tree weeds have serrated edges and are impossible to pull out.

What are these things?? How do I stop them? In the vines, they are choking out the vines themselves and they are now all over my yard. Help!
Attachments
vines and evil trees small.jpg

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Could be elm seedlings.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, that was my thought too. In my yard baby elm seedlings pop up all over the place, even though I've never found a nearby elm tree they might be coming from.

applestar
Mod

Yep elm. Their seed samaras flutter flown and get blown around like snowflakes in late spring early summer. They find their way into EVERYTHING. Fortunately they are easy to recognize and pull out relatively easily this season.

I let some of the volunteers grow in out of the way areas of the garden because we discovered they are larval hosts to Question Mark Butterfly caterpillars:
Subject: 2012 butterfly project commentary
applestar wrote:I finally took some photos of the Question Marks :D

-- alarming-looking, like I said... :shock:

anthony901
Newly Registered

You all are so smart, thank you! I actually think we have a large elm tree in our yard...this would explain it...hmm.... Any easy way to get rid of them without hurting the grass or ivy around them?

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Either pull them up or if that is impossible, just keep mowing them. Elms are aggressive little buggers and grow fast. 2-4-D is the chemical of choice. It is a broadleaf control, but be sure to follow the directions. For tree seedlings the ratio is pretty small if I remember. I find just mowing will do the trick.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

nice to know applestar. I have seen some of those butterflies, though I never noticed the caterpillars. I'll be on the look out.

Return to “Plant Identification”