mrsjtak
Newly Registered

Help me ID this bush!

I have a new home and a very large front/back yard that is dirt/dead grass. We are trying to water the grass area in the front to see if anything will grow, but the front planter next to the house is just dirt and small rocks.

I think I will have to dig all the little rocks out to plant anything. I saw this photo on Better Homes & Gardens and like it as an inspiration for my flower bed. Can anyone help me identify the reddish bush towards the middle of the photo? Would this work in a flower bed between the sidewalk and the house?

Any help I am grateful for!
Attachments
colorful garden.jpg
Zone 10 :)

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Re: Help me ID this bush!

looks like a privet to me.
Think like a tree
© 2016 Invisable Inc.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

really, are there red-leaved privets? I only ever see the green all year, evergreen ones.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

I hate when magazines do that! Why show a pic without identifying the plants? Does the article say where the garden is, or what month the pic was taken?

imafan26
Mod

I don't know if this is it but it might be a good substitute for you. Euonymous elatus "Compactus" , aka burning bush. It is a shrub 8-10 tall (compact form) 15 ft for the regular version. The red color will only be in the fall, other times the leaves will be green. This shrub should need minimal pruning.

If you live further south the red leaf photinia or Caribbean copper plant (Euphorbia cotonifolia).
I have a Caribbean copper plant and I get great comments about it all the time. When it is pruned regularly the leaves are a bright red. The natural shape of the bush/tree is umbrel and the older leaves take on a smokey red hue. The sap is milky and can be irritating to the skin and eyes, so I keep my bush short and I have trained it into a ball. It is the easiest topiary form for me to maintain. The photinia will have older green leaves with the new leaves being red.

Otherwise, for a punch of red color, you can always go with a Japanese maple.

I find red to be a hard color to use in the garden because it tends to bleach out the blue in a lot of the plants that I have.
I like purple and blue flowers more.

I did find out why people kept missing my entry though. Feng shui principles said that red is an inviting color. Apparently that is why so many designers encourage people to paint their front door red. Red plants invite you in. Thorny plants say shoo! I have roses planted on the side of the driveway leading up to my gate and they are tall roses and a hibiscus that partially hide the gate from view. On the other side of the driveway. I have an Indian hawthorne hedge about hip high, the Caribbean copper plant shaped into a red ball and the ground cover is being transitioned from blue daze to dwarf acalypha which is also red. Now, I understand why so many people keep thinking my garage door is the front door.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

Return to “Plant Identification”