Gryphongardner78

What is this? Help

Was out in my garden the other day and this sucker and its close friend shot up in a about a week or so. It is where I had planted some spinach but I don't believe any came up. I have never grown spinach before so I guess I am at a loss. Or I am just having this major brain fart. Also have the third one up along the front of my home, and would like to know if its useful or just decoration. It is my intention over the future years to rid myself of plants&trees that aren't useful, if you get my meaning.
DSCF2880.JPG
DSCF2880.JPG (44.99 KiB) Viewed 531 times
DSCF2879.JPG
DSCF2879.JPG (46.49 KiB) Viewed 531 times
DSCF2876.JPG
DSCF2876.JPG (52.67 KiB) Viewed 531 times
DSCF2877.JPG
DSCF2877.JPG (43.72 KiB) Viewed 531 times

Lindsaylew82
Mod

Re: What is this? Help

The first is pokeweed. I'm not a fan of it. A lot of people cook it around here. I'm sure you've heard of Poke Sallat. It's toxic and requires special cooking. All parts of the plant are toxic. It eventually makes loads of dark purple ink berries that the birds devour and then find the nearest neatly planted mulched bed to poop out the seeds.
image.jpg

I hate them. I pull them as soon as I see them.

I need to do some looking for the others. BRB.
Last edited by Lindsaylew82 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lindsay
Upstate, SC
USDA Zone 7b/ Sunset Zone 31

Lindsaylew82
Mod

In the first and second picture I think there is wild amaranth there as well. I can't see it very well, but I think so.

It's edible, but make sure that's what it is. Idk of its safety when planted that close to toxic plants.
image.jpg
Eta: the more I look at it, the more I think it's just pokeweed too...
Lindsay
Upstate, SC

Lindsaylew82
Mod

I think I've got the last one!

I think it's Kobold gayfeather.
image.jpg
If say it's very useful as an attractant to beneficial predatory insects! They keep your bad bugs in check. Plus it really pretty and it looks well established! I cannot find any information in regards to its culinary or medicinal uses. It is a member of the "aster" family.

I vote keep!
Lindsay
Upstate, SC

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Lindsay did a good job of identifying your plants, but see this thread for a different take on pokeberry:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 52&t=58354
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Return to “Plant Identification”