ambraganza
Newly Registered

Alien plant taking over my garden!

Can anyone identify this plant? I have 2 growing in the garden and they do not seem to do anything but grow taller... currently 5'. The buds do not flower instead just gets taller.. is it a weed i have let get out of control or a plant worth keeping?

Many thanks
2014-07-02 14.03.17.jpg
2014-07-02 14.03.07.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Re: Alien plant taking over my garden!

It depends if it is something you don't want then it is a weed and the sooner it gets taken out the better before it goes to seed or the roots get so deep you will need a lot of muscle to pull it out.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

applestar
Mod

That's true -- ANY plant growing where you don't want it is a weed regardless of what it is.

But let's see, it looks like it has inconspicuous (petal less) flowers where those leaves meet the stem. It looks like the "buds" are actually seed pods. The growth pattern reminds me of euphorbia, but I'm not familiar with this particular species.

I'll go look around....
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

applestar
Mod

Here's a similar looking plant called "gopher weed"
:arrow: https://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/arcata/a ... _Weed.html

...what do you think?
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

ambraganza
Newly Registered

Yep Applestar, that's it!
Thanks... I will be pulling them up asap.

Return to “Plant Identification”