leke
Cool Member

Is this Beet Leaf (Swiss Chard) White Silver?

Hi, I got some seeds which are meant to be Beet Leaf (Swiss Chard) White Silver, but they don't look so much like what I see from their picture. You can't see the stalks in the picture, but they are not really that thick, and the leaf is much lighter green, and flatter.

Can someone give me a second opinion?
Mine:
Other:

Edit/Update: Here is a leaf/stem...
Last edited by leke on Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

I am not sure about swiss chard and beet leaf being the same although there would be a mild similarity in shape and they are related closely. You do get a swiss chard that is red too - it is called bright lights. Both are edible in the same way.

Sometimes I plant things and then realise the seeds did not germinate or were killed and I am nursing weeds. I have also had the wrong seeds in a packet before! That picture you posted is neither swiss chard or beet btw but I can't identify it.

Here the leaves from a beet:

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

The first is not chard. It looks like some type of lettuce. A lot like some type of baby romaine.

The second is chard.

Beets and chard are the exact same species but different cultivars. Both are B. Vulgaris.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

It does look like lettuce but I didn't want to say in case it's not and you eat it!

imafan26
Mod

Swiss chard is also called silverbeet, or spinach beet. Beets and Chard are in the same family, the chenopods. It is an ancient and nutritious vegetable. Swiss chard has the same earthy flavor of beets. Beet leaf, may actually be the leaves of beets which are pretty tasty too. However, if you harvest too many beet leaves, don't expect much beet.

Beets are like cilantro, it is an acquired taste and you either love it or hate it.

It is very easy to grow and a good choice for small gardens since it can be harvested repeatedly over a long time.

The first time, I ate chard, I didn't like it because it tasted like dirt. But now, that I know to use the younger leaves and how to cook it, its' great.

Beet and chard seeds, is really a cluster of seeds. When you have to thin beets, the thinnings can be eaten as baby greens.

Chard comes in a variety of colors, white, red, yellow, orange and magenta.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

everything imafan says is true of swiss chard. But just to be clear, your plant is not chard or beet.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Lol, I was really referring to beetroot. Here we grow beetroot and eat the leaves. We call the red chard bright lights chard.

leke
Cool Member

Hi, They have just flowered.
I've found very similar flowers on many sites calling them just lettuce.

Return to “Plant Identification”