Currently_Planted

Two mystery houseplants (with pictures)

Hi everyone,

My friend was moving last weekend and gave me a half-dozen houseplants that she no longer wanted. Unfortunately, she didn't remember what any of the plants were. I'm fairly certain none of them are particularly "exotic" plants, and I've identified most of them, but I wanted to check in with some experts about two of them just to make sure I can give them the lighting/watering/etc. conditions they need.
plant 1.jpg
(My friend said this one seemed perfectly happy in the corner of her home office, away from a window, if that helps.)
plant 2.jpg

Any assistance identifying these plants would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Don't know about the green plant - maybe a type of dracaena variegates??? But the pink plant looks like the pink polka dot plant "Hypoestes Phyllostachya". :)

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Agreed on both. The Drac looks like a 'Lemon Lime' cultivar of D. fragrans, though usually sold under the synonym D. deremensis.

Currently_Planted

Thank you so much for your help! I agree that the pink plant does indeed seem to be the polka dot plant Hypoestes Phyllostachya. The green one certainly looks like a type of dracaena - upon closer inspection, I think it might actually just be an older/bigger plant of the same variety of another plant I was given (which happily still had a tag that marked it as a dracaena, though it didn't say what specific kind).

Here's the smaller plant that was labelled a dracaena:
plant 3.jpg
I looked up pictures of the lemon-lime cultivar, and it seems likely that that could be the answer for both. I thought dracaena preferred a good amount of sunlight, though, and the big green one had previously been kept in indirect light, at best....maybe it just adapted :)

Thanks again! Your assistance has been greatly appreciated!

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Hi, The top one looks like a Yucca.

Richard

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

The pattern of variegation is that of Dracaena, not Yucca.
The newer pic is another kind of Dracaena, there are many species, and most species then have numerous cultivars/sports.

Glad to share info!

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

You may be right. We have a Yucca sitting here that is trying to empersonate the above.

Richard

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Without either plant available to see in person, just my opinion. Tons of pics of both out there, comparing them to the actual plant is usually best, at "your" end, and/or adding more pics. Some Yucca leaves are known to be pointy/sharp enough at the tips to cause 'ouch.' Dracaenas do not do that, that can be a clue also. HTH!

Richard, you could show your plant to get opinions about it also.
-Tiffany

imafan26
Mod

Currently_planted your plant is dracena fragrans, common name corn plant. Yours must have been cut and it suckered, I usually see tall single stems. It makes a fine houseplant although in my neck of the woods it can be a weed.

I agree the mystery plant does look like a dracena.

Currently_Planted

Thanks so much everyone! Pretty sure the big green one is a dracaena, not a yucca (the leaves aren't sharp). I appreciate all your assistance!

Return to “Plant Identification”