MarcP2

Roadside Weeds to Identify

I keep seeing this assortment of weeds growing along the road and am very curious about what they are. Does anyone see horseweed among the bunch?

Weed One.
(1a)

(1b)

(1c)

Weed Two:
I'm not sure if this is the same weed at a different stage or not.

(2a)

(3a)
Image[

(4a)

(5a)

Weed 3
This is what I thought might be horseweed but I don't know.

watermelonpunch

Weed one and weed two are different I think and I'm going by the leaves. W2 is shaggy and w1 looks spindly but organized. Photo 1a is an interesting pic. Was that taken while overcast and what time of day?

Not sure what it is... Either... And I've looked thru so many yellow flower pictures too! Ha ha

applestar
Mod

1 is spurge/euphorbia of some kind
3 is not horseweed, I think, unless these are taller than they look in the picture
3a looks familiar but ID escapes me and am too tired to look it up :D
In the extreme foreground of 4a, I think I see quack grass.

MarcP2

watermelonpunch wrote:Weed one and weed two are different I think and I'm going by the leaves. W2 is shaggy and w1 looks spindly but organized. Photo 1a is an interesting pic. Was that taken while overcast and what time of day?

Not sure what it is... Either... And I've looked thru so many yellow flower pictures too! Ha ha
I just took the photo shortly before posting it but I've already forgotten the time of day. Probably early afternoon, sunny. I know it's a bad photo but I'm no photographer, that's for sure.

MarcP2

applestar wrote:1 is spurge/euphorbia of some kind
3 is not horseweed, I think, unless these are taller than they look in the picture
3a looks familiar but ID escapes me and am too tired to look it up :D
In the extreme foreground of 4a, I think I see quack grass.
Weird, I posted a reply to this and it's nowhere to be seen. Sorry if you get two replies. Anyway, I'm sure you are right about the spurge. I looked it up on the U of M website and it looks like Leafy Spurge which does grow in this county. I'm glad you identified the grass because I wanted to know but not ask another question. Here is another photo of that weed I thought might be horseweed next to the grass:

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Look at bittercress, and Capsella.

Tray14
Newly Registered

hello, just thinking its funny what one person calls a weed etc - here in the U.K. I have just brought a euphorbia and planted it up - hey ho - different climates I guess! :D

MarcP2

True, although there are many varieties of Euphorbia and some are more easily controlled than others. I should call non-native plants weeds but I'm not that good at differentiating.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Mark - no answer. Just love your passion for weeds. Keep it coming.

watermelonpunch

Marc that first photo is compelling actually. No way to know tho of course if it's a clever photographer or just the plant being an interesting subject. Ha ha! ;-)

And yeah keep it coming! I look forward to your finds!

MarcP2

ElizabethB wrote:Mark - no answer. Just love your passion for weeds. Keep it coming.
To know that someone finds my posts more interesting than annoying is better than an answer :-)

watermelonpunch

I love plant sleuthing! Isn't great I'm not the only one.

I now know I have quack grass.

applestar
Mod

Quack grass is supposed to be a good slug repellent/killer if chopped into pieces. I have trouble ID'ing it except when the seed stalk unfolds, so when that happens (which is now). I trim the seed heads off to dispose or scatter where I want them, then trim the rest of the grass to use. You can run over them with the mulching mower, too, for general/random application.

MarcP2

purpleinopp wrote:Look at bittercress, and Capsella.
I'm sorry, purpleinopp, somehow I overlooked your comment. Bitter cress certainly has leaves that look much like those in my photo but mine seem more like seeds and I can't find anything quite like that. I will go through a bunch of cress plants listed on the UM site and see of something matches. Thank you.

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Not a problem, but TY for the comment. :+) There is another plant that often gets confused with that one, but for the life of me, I still can't remember what it is. I bet you'll figure it out though, u usually do! Look forward to your next round of 'wild' pics!

MarcP2

I am now 100% sure you are right, purpleinopp. Somehow, I started looking at peppergrass and ended up looking at several different cress plants. These all look like possibilities: Lepidium Virginicum, Lepidium densiflorum, Lepidium ruderale. Now, I'll do a closer study of each. Thanks again for your help :-)

Sasha
Cool Member

Yep, your second plant is definitely a Lepidium.

Return to “Plant Identification”