tumana

Weed in my garden

Hello,

Can someone please help me identify this weed/vine? I tried googling it prior to creating this post. Although I know a lot more about vines now (thanks, Google!), I could not identify the name of this particular vine. I even found a post on another forum with a picture of this vine where people were unable to identify it. :( I'm hoping we have more experts on this forum. ;)

It spreads amazingly fast and, before you know it, it's wrapped around the base of all your bushes growing out in every direction. Very annoying.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

I'd guess some type of Lonicera at this point. A pic of the flowers when they open should help people recognize it.

tumana

Hi purpleinopp,

Thanks for responding. Apologies for my own delayed response but got busy with a work project.

I don't think it's a Lonicera. Here is a picture of the flower.

The black color makes it look pretty sinister. :)

Ian

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

I think it's black swallowwort, which seems to have confusion about its' botanical name, or has been renamed.

https://www.google.com/search?q=black+s ... 4&dpr=1.25

tumana

Thank you, purpleinopp! That's it!

For those googling this by other names:
Cynanchum louiseae (species in the milkweed family) also known as Black swallow-wort, Louise's swallow-wort, or Black dog-strangling vine.

Believed to be introduced in the Americas by an plant collector in Massachusetts. ARG!
Ecological implications

In the United States and Canada, Cynanchum louiseae is a threat to native species because it crowds them out. For example, Cynanchum louiseae can completely replace a field of goldenrod. Crowding out other species results in a reduced habitat for wildlife, which may become endangered because they can no longer find the correct habitat.

Cynanchum louiseae threatens the rare limestone pavement barren ecosystems by crowding out plants that the surrounding wildlife needs. Cynanchum louiseae may also decrease bird presence in grasslands, which may in turn cause insect species populations to increase.

In Vermont, Cynanchum louiseae crowds out the endangered species Jessop's milk vetch. In Rhode Island, Cynanchum louiseae reduces the effectiveness of electric fences, which may cause livestock to be put into danger or lost.

In addition, Cynanchum louiseae crowds out another species of milkweed that monarch butterflies use in order to reproduce. When monarch butterflies try to reproduce using Cynanchum louiseae, the larvae do not survive. Thus, Cynanchum louiseae threatens populations of monarch butterflies. Overall, Cynanchum louiseae reproduces effectively and can easily take over various habitats in a short amount of time. It can easily take dominance over native species' habitats. Most of the possible implications of Cynanchum louiseae changing the physical structure of various ecosystems are yet to be known.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynanchum_louiseae

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Dog strangling vine? What a name! Yep, you found the same kind of info I did, figured you would. Most weedy vines ARE attractive, that's how they get spread around! Sorry it's an invader, not a native. Good luck!

Return to “Plant Identification”