Plant #1 - Currently blooming in messy flower bed

Plant #2 - Currently blooming

Plant #3 (vigorous vine weed)
USDA Zone 7a, Sunset Zone 32
"The earth laughs in flowers" -Ralph Waldo Emerson

applestar
Mod

Re: A few plants for ID

#2 is vetch. I like them as early/late N-fixing covercrop and collect seeds so I don't have to keep buying them.

#3 I think is the yellow/white (non-native) -invasive- honeysuckle that smells nice.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

watermelonpunch

Could #1 be velvetleaf?

No clue about the others.

Edit: I think applestar is right about #3. The leaves do look like that crazy vigorous invasive honeysuckle. I think I didn't recognize it because at the back edge of my yard where they grow along the field, the vines are so thick that I just don't recognize them when they're standing alone! :shock: I think last year I posted a single sprout of it that I didn't recognize and applestar identified it for me. :o
Last edited by watermelonpunch on Tue May 20, 2014 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Northeastern Pennsylvania
USDA zone 6a bordering 5b, Sunset Zone 37 bordering 42
I'm brainwashing you with this signature block.
watermelonpunch.com

applestar
Mod

Well, I was thinking that might be Green and Gold (Chrysogonum virginianum). Didn't you say you have them, Pinksand? Mine died so I can't be sure.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

watermelonpunch

Yes, #1 does look like this:
https://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/p ... c1186.html

I'm always searching for velvetleaf because it always comes up as a possibility in my web searches to try & identify weedy plants w/ yellow flowers.
There are too many plants that have yellow flowers IMHO. :lol: :wink:
(I've never actually seen velvetleaf... not even sure if it grows where I live!)
watermelonpunch.com

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

i don't think #1 is velvetleaf. having such a big flower on top of the plant isn't their thing.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

not velvetleaf which has big soft (velvety! :) ) leaves:

https://www.commonsensehome.com/wp-conte ... f-leaf.jpg

but I don't know what it is either. There are a million "yellow, daisy-like" flowers.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

MarcP2

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Thank you all! I should have recognized japanese honeysuckle! I never noticed it blooming last year among my neighbors other weeds and crazy vines. Ugh, the honeysuckle is proving to be a nightmare now that we have a fence it wants nothing more than to climb! Here's a link to my thread regarding that problem https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 10&t=58030

Chrysogonum virginianum looks just like my yellow flower! I'd never heard of them before but looking them up they sound wonderful! I hadn't noticed them in that garden last year. I'm planning to smother that bed because it's so weedy and am planning to save anything favorable to replant there so I'll definitely be saving these guys!

Applestar, do you grow the vetch in your veggie gardens? I have them popping up in really random places among other weeds, but didn't want to pull them because they're so pretty! Should I try to collect the seeds once the flower heads die and sow them in my veggie beds to fix the nitrogen next spring?

applestar
Mod

They appear in random places because the seed pods snap open and scatter the seeds when they are dry. :lol: Plus they are little round balls and roll around.

The vetch is supposed to be a good combo winter/cool season cover crop with oats and field peas. I think I sow them in fall and if they don't come up in fall, they come up in spring.... Sometimes I have a number of "not worth eating" end of the season peas that I let mature to dry peas. If they don't look worthy of being saved for planting, too tiny, blemished, etc. I put them in a collective "cover crop bag".

The "cover crop" ones in the garden get randomly pulled stepped on crumpled when it's time to plant. I don't quite crimp them or turn them under in timely fashion. They grow among my wild strawberries and I just yank them (the roofs usually stay in the ground) when they start blooming and podding -or before they start shading the strawberry plants too much- and then use the vines in situ as green mulch.

If you want to collect seeds, watch closely and as soon as one pod has turned black and popped, start pulling the vines in a paper grocery bag or a pillow case, then keep the sack in hot dry garage, shed, etc. I have missed the window due to busy schedule, etc. and one day they are not quite ready, and in a couple of days they've all popped and scattered.m :roll:

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Vetch! The terror weed! It is invasive and tenacious. Unless there is more than one variety, can't imaging using it as a ground cover.
Have fun!
Susan

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

There are about 140 different species of Vicia.

watermelonpunch

Not to mention locale differences.
The South has a very different climate than the Northeast. What's an aggressive growing plant south of the Mason Dixon, might not even survive very long where I live, or just not make it anywhere near the top of the annoying weeds list around here.

I don't think I've ever seen hairy vetch, actually.
watermelonpunch.com

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Susan W wrote:Vetch! The terror weed! It is invasive and tenacious. Unless there is more than one variety, can't imaging using it as a ground cover.
Well I ended up tearing it out. It was tucked into a patch of weeds and just too hard to save anyway. I figured I'd play it safe and get rid of it ;)

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Watermelon, how true, how true! We used to have spider plants and asparagus ferns in pots, 'house plants.' They escaped into the ground, and are horrible weeds here! Had to get out the shovel to put a stop to those. I used to have to dig up Cannas to store them in the basement for winter but they are reliably hardy here. It's very interesting to move from OH to AL!

IDK of any Vicias considered garden plants, I would have pulled it too, since leaving it would result in many more of the same plant next year, from the seeds dropped by this years' plant. Pulling the other weeds you mention should help keep their numbers lower next year as well. After pulling unwanted sprouts from any particular area before they make flowers, there should be dramatically fewer weeds the following year.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

purpleinopp wrote:IDK of any Vicias considered garden plants, I would have pulled it too, since leaving it would result in many more of the same plant next year, from the seeds dropped by this years' plant. Pulling the other weeds you mention should help keep their numbers lower next year as well. After pulling unwanted sprouts from any particular area before they make flowers, there should be dramatically fewer weeds the following year.
So very true! I had a nightmare infestation of sorrel pop up last year and pulled diligently, this year I've only seen a couple here and there so it has seemed to have made a difference, especially catching things before they go to seed. Last year was the first spring in our house and I let a lot of things grow in to see what they ended up doing. By the end of the season I learned to ID a lot of weeds ;) I also know most of what is wanted in my garden now and am not afraid to pull things I don't want, even if they were intentionally put there by the previous owners.

watermelonpunch

IMG_4123.jpg
Is this vetch?
I found this in the field I live next to.
watermelonpunch.com

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Watermelon, that also looks much like a black locust sapling. Does it have any thorns? It could be vetch, but the plants I had were much more dainty (could have just been less established). Both locust and vetch are legumes correct?

watermelonpunch

Here's another picture of it:
IMG_4125.jpg
And I didn't notice any thorns or such, but honestly, I wasn't looking. I just thought - wait, this looks a bit like those pictures of what I said I never saw...

Kind of seems like a bushy sort of plant to me though, rather than a tree. I'll have another look when I go out tomorrow or Sunday to take more pics of those yellow flowers (from my other thread).
watermelonpunch.com

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Yeah, the growth habit in the second photo looks much more like a vine plant like vetch than a locust. I only mention locusts because after some days of heavy rain last week we suddenly had locust saplings all through our lawn that were up to my knee and very lush and bushy like your first photo. I definitely think vetch is a possibility... any blooms yet?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

looks like vetch to me!
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

watermelonpunch

Haven't gone to the field but saw more roadside in my neighborhood while on a walk yesterday evening... Mixed in with weeds in some unmaintained roadside inclines. Not yet blooming. I don't remember it from last year. Does it die back quick and maybe I just missed it?

Course my husband sometimes gets frustrated with my inspecting every plant in every front yard we pass. Lol so I'm sure there are times I walk past stuff oblivious.

And yeah stuff can look very different from different angles which is why now I always try to take more than one. You can't see everything in one.
watermelonpunch.com

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Lol my husband gets annoyed with me for doing the same thing ;)

Return to “Plant Identification”