applestar
Mod

EMERGENCY ID pls. Is this Anis Hyssop or Holy Basi?

I have this seedling labeled as anis hyssop but the scent reminds me of holy basil. If anis hyssop it can stay out tonight at low 40's but it should be brought inside if basil....:?
Attachments
image.jpg
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Re: EMERGENCY ID pls. Is this Anis Hyssop or Holy Basi?

Interesting, now that you mention it, the agastache and the holy basil do look quite a bit alike. I'm thinking that this is the agastache, but you have probably already decided what to do by this time.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

applestar
Mod

Nope. It's still out there. I was holding out until the very last minute before going to bed. :()
Thank you for rendering your Identification. :D
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

oh, jeez... duh! knocking self in the head. They LOOK quite a bit alike, but the scents should be quite different. The licorice mint scent of agastache is unmistakable. Did you try rubbing the leaves a little and smelling it?
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

applestar
Mod

Haha that's the thing -- what does licorice smell like? Somehow I couldn't remember if the way this one smelled was like it. Anyway, I chickened out as I was starting to fall asleep and got up in my jammies to bring it back inside.... Now I'm awake worrying about some of the other plants I left uncovered outside because it's 43°F out there and may get a bit colder still before dawn ... :roll:

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Not anise hyssop! It has rounded and scalloped edged leaves. The new leaves often have a purple cast. I'm sorting a few not labelled myself. Sigh. It is close to catnip in looks. Then there are the monardas, leaves more pointed.

I can't say for sure on holy basil, as I am starting for the first time, and it hasn't grown it's 1st true leaves. The flower start in your pic looks like basil trying to bloom.

IMO, most things, including basils can go down to 40, though not happy. If snugged up against house, out of wind and with shelter should do fine.
Have fun!
Susan

applestar
Mod

It bloomed! ...definitely basil, right?
image.jpg
...is cinnamon basil a possibility?

Return to “Plant Identification”