MarcP2

Is this purple loosestrife?

This is a screen capture from a video I took of Huron River. I'm hoping this is something other than purple loosestrife, but I can't think of what. Any other suggestions?

JONA878
Greener Thumb

MarcP2 wrote:This is a screen capture from a video I took of Huron River. I'm hoping this is something other than purple loosestrife, but I can't think of what. Any other suggestions?

Lythrum Salicaria ...I think it is Marc....why do you hope it isn't? Have you got an invasion problem?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Oh yes indeed. It is an exotic invasive, not native to North America and extremely invasive. Crowds everything else out.

Here's what wiki says:

Infestations result in dramatic disruption in water flow in rivers and canals, and a sharp decline in biological diversity as native food and cover plant species, notably cattails, are completely crowded out, and the life cycles of organisms from waterfowl to amphibians to algae are affected. A single plant may produce up to three million tiny seeds annually.[citation needed] Easily carried by wind and water, the seeds germinate in moist soils after overwintering. The plant can also sprout anew from pieces of root left in the soil or water. Once established, loosestrife stands are difficult and costly to remove by mechanical and chemical means

and yes I think so too. re ID'ing it wiki says:

In North America, purple loosestrife may be distinguished from similar native plants (e.g. fireweed Epilobium angustifolium, blue vervain Verbena hastata, Liatris Liatris spp., and spiraea (Spiraea douglasii) by its angular stalks which are square in outline, as well by its leaves, which are in pairs that alternate at right angle and are not serrated.

that seems to describe your plant

MarcP2

JONA878 wrote:
MarcP2 wrote:This is a screen capture from a video I took of Huron River. I'm hoping this is something other than purple loosestrife, but I can't think of what. Any other suggestions?

Lythrum Salicaria ...I think it is Marc....why do you hope it isn't? Have you got an invasion problem?
Thank you, Jona878. I photographed this along the Huron River in Ann Arbor. Loosestrife is beautiful but terribly invasive and destructive to native cattails. I just hate to see it take over.

MarcP2

That's what I was afraid of, Rainbow. I know where this was photographed and I also made a video so I can go back this summer to see how much it has spread.

Return to “Plant Identification”