wysteriangnome
Cool Member

HELP with ID please. :) Orange flower bush/tree.

010.JPG
010.JPG (86.3 KiB) Viewed 737 times
My aunt brought this to our house when she was sick. It was horribly root bound in a pot with soil like cement. I planted it 2 1/2 years ago, this past summer it has grown beautifully. I don't know the name of it. I appreciate your help.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

it's bushy, but it's really a vine. it's trumpet vine, campsis radicans.

imafan26
Mod

Can you get a close up of the flowers? It could be trumpet vine but I could not get a close enough view of the flowers. The color and habit also look like the plant in the link below. It is called cape honeysuckle. It is a shrubby vine.

https://www.delange.org/CapeHoneysuckle/ ... suckle.htm

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The picture will enlarge twice if you click on it. I'm pretty sure potatoes was right trumpet creeper.

It is slow getting established, but then it will take off and get huge and spread. It is very nice to have because hummingbirds love those flowers. Then it will produce long brown seed pods, that are very hard. When new they can't be opened. But after a few hard frosts they open up and they are full of paper thin seeds that finches and other birds love, that feed them all through the winter, when there is little other food around.

But eventually the vine does start popping up all over the place. So watch out for it a bit.

wysteriangnome
Cool Member

Awesome, thank you. I looked at the photo of the cape honeysuckle, and from a distance it does look like that, but the flowers are different, they petals don't look as open as the photos of the honeysuckle. So similar.

Trumpet vine (campsis radicans) then, thanks again. :)

I will watch for excess growth or shoots, although it is in a great spot & has already given us privacy and covered up an unpleasant view. Yes the hummingbirds seem to love it.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I forgot you are in SoCal. The "few hard frosts" is obviously my climate. I presume the seed pods find a way to open up eventually in your climate too.... :)

wysteriangnome
Cool Member

:) Yes. Thanks again. I don't get on here often with the cold weather here. (cold for me) So this may be a late response, sorry.

We have had snow here in the last 2 winters, but most everything made it through. I ran around like a madwoman covering succulents and other things with huge plastic bags. The succulents got affected most, but they came back. Although I love to see snow, I actually hope we don't get any this year. 8)

Return to “Plant Identification”