Maximus66
Newly Registered

Amazing Tree in my Backyard

Hi,

I recently purchased a home and it has an amazingly awesome looking tree in the backyard. However, the tree seems sickly and it definitely needs some help. The tree is too lovely to let it slowly die. I'm pinching some pennies right now with the move so I can't pay for an arborist to come out quite yet. This is where I graciously request your help - before I can even begin to try to assess what's wrong with the tree, I need your help identifying the tree I have. I've attached pictures and would greatly appreciate any assistance. Any advice you have would be gravy :D

If additional pictures or info would be help, please let me know. The tree is located in the Bay Area of California if that helps with identification.
Tree1.jpg
Tree1.jpg (58.82 KiB) Viewed 787 times
Tree2.jpg
Tree2.jpg (54.55 KiB) Viewed 787 times
Tree3.jpg

Maximus66
Newly Registered

Re: Amazing Tree in my Backyard

Additional pictures...
Tree4.jpg
Tree5.jpg
Tree6.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It helps in identifying trees to know if the branches are opposite (small branches come off of larger branches in pairs growing in opposite directions) or alternating. Your pictures don't show that very well, but I'm thinking it is opposite?

In the eastern half of the country, trees with opposite branching are generally maple, ash, buckeye, dogwood.

However you are in a totally different climate/habitat range than I am and have lots of trees that don't exist here. So afraid I can't help. But you are right, your tree does not look in good shape.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

imafan26
Mod

It is an interesting tree, quite knarly and beautiful. I don't know what it is either, but on the picture there is a dark brown spot on the trunk. Is there a brown resin coming out of it? If it is, it could be gummosis.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

Maximus66
Newly Registered

Thanks for the responses!

Yes rainbowgardener, I'm pretty sure it's opposite. It seems that at each set of branches, there are three branches coming out. I've attached a picture of a dead branch, but it's low so it's a lot easier to see.
NewTree1.jpg
NewTree1.jpg (62.77 KiB) Viewed 730 times
imafan26 wrote:It is an interesting tree, quite knarly and beautiful. I don't know what it is either, but on the picture there is a dark brown spot on the trunk. Is there a brown resin coming out of it? If it is, it could be gummosis.
I looked at the dark brown spot further but I can't find any resin. When I looked online for pictures of gummosis, it seems that it looks like sap. Is this what I'd be looking for? I couldn't find any liquid/sap of any type on the tree. To the touch, the darker spot is slightly softer than the hard bark of the rest of the tree, but when I say slightly, I do mean slightly. It seems it's almost just due to that part of the tree absorbing/having a little more water as opposed to it being weaker. But I agree, to my untrained eye, the brown area definitely seems of interest when looking for what could be ailing this tree.

I've never had a garden myself before, so I'm new to this stuff. Is there anything "universal" I might want to try even if I'm not able to identify the type of tree and cause of the problem? I have no idea what steps the prior owner took to take care of the tree, but he had noted it had "been dying for a while".
Attachments
NewTree2.jpg

wysteriangnome
Cool Member

I don't know where you are, and didn't have time to read all the replies but it looks a lot like a cork tree that is in a park nearby. (So. California) The bark is very soft in spots and you can break pieces of it off easily.

? Did you find out yet?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Maximus said he is in SF Bay area.

I have never seen cork tree so I looked it up.

https://images.travelpod.com/tripwow/pho ... -24553.jpg

The bark on it is thick and ridged (the smooth lower part in the picture is where the bark has already been stripped off to make cork), but in any of the pictures I saw, it didn't have that round lumpiness. I don't know if that would happen when the tree gets really old, or if it might be part of the disease process going on, so I can't say it isn't cork.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

wysteriangnome
Cool Member

I see what you mean, yes. I don't recall seeing the rounded type of growth. (gnarly lumps) I'll see if I can get over there and check it out, maybe get a photo if it does have any rounded growth as opposed to the ridges.

:) It is an awesome tree. (Yours and the cork trees)

wysteriangnome
Cool Member

Did you ever find out what type of tree yours is? I never did get up to check out the cork trees (there are two), but I am pretty sure they only have the ridged type of bumps.

Return to “Plant Identification”