evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Pink berries and flowers

Can anyone help me identify this? I don't think it's indigenous to South Africa but they have always been around. The pink fruit is edible and the birds love it. The berries are almost pear shape with distinctive ridging on the bottom.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Re: Pink berries and flowers

The berries are spongy but juicy. Surely this should be easy? There can't be that many trees with pink berries!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's not really a very helpful picture. I didn't know it was a tree until you just said that. Do the berries come singly or in clusters? Do they have seeds in them?
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

I was hoping someone would just recognise it ;)

I did forget to mention that is is a tree though. It is a small trees that starts of looking a bit shrubby. It ends up about 3 m tall with a single trunk.

The berries are single and produced from each flower. I don't know about seeds but there is definitely not a large pip in the middle.

If no one knows I will have to wait until summer to get a picture of the fruit because they are more distinctive and last longer than the flowers.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Oh thanks! There is nothing about the fruit, which is weird but the flower matches perfectly.

Kats Eye

pretty sweet pea! don't dead head the blooms and after they dry out they will look like little skulls. :D

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

I realised this summer when everything fruited that this sweet pea tree, which is beautiful, was growing right up against a rose apple, the fruit I was referring to. So they were 2 different trees, oops.

Thanks though for the identification because I really love the sweet pea tree too.

Return to “Plant Identification”