mrsartz

is this a tomato plant, herb or weed?

Would appreciate any help in the matter. Thank you!

I hope uploading the photo works....

applestar
Mod

Re: is this a tomato plant, herb or weed?

Not a tomato plant -- it's some kind of a tree. "Weed" or not depends on what you want to have growing there. I often leave a volunteer tree like this growing where it is until I identify it and decide if I want to keep it there or transplant it elsewhere.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

mrsartz

applestar wrote:Not a tomato plant -- it's some kind of a tree. "Weed" or not depends on what you want to have growing there. I often leave a volunteer tree like this growing where it is until I identify it and decide if I want to keep it there or transplant it elsewhere.

Thank you so much for the input! Well...I have a Black Walnut tree not too far from it by the front of the house. I'll look at it in the morning to see if it's a match..they just might be.

Thanks again!

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

definitely could be walnut. break a leaflet up a bit and smell it - walnuts have a distinct smell.

Mr_bobo_

...it is not walnut...
...it is more like that's ''three of heaven'' ... ;)
My Garden at: www.borisvrt.webs.com

mrsartz

Ok...the other day I broke open a leaf to see if it smelled minty and it didn't and not exactly sure what it should smell like off the top of my head. I will check that out as soon as I get outside. I suppose if it smells like a leaf from my black walnut then that's what it has to be. Thank you.

Are Asiatic lilies and rose bushes able to grow near the Tree of Heaven? I did read that they are poisonous so either way I suppose I'd have to move it because many plants supposedly don't grow near black walnuts either. It doesn't seem like its a very friendly tree... Thank you.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

my impression is that ailanthus/tree of heaven (known here as 'stinktree) isn't near as antisocial as walnuts.

but yes, compare smells with other neighborhood pinnate-leaved trees.

mrsartz

!potatoes! wrote:my impression is that ailanthus/tree of heaven (known here as 'stinktree) isn't near as antisocial as walnuts.

but yes, compare smells with other neighborhood pinnate-leaved trees.
I understand that pollen/seeds are carried to one plant from the other one way or another but how far should I search? My neighbors trees are a fair distance away. However, there's an entire mountain range down and across the road. Also, I have a few acres of woods behind me and there's a large tree farm behind that.

This could have come from anywhere.

I did break open a leaf from both the walnut and the unknown plant. Not sure if rain makes it all smell the same or if because I'm sick my sense of smell is off. The walnut leaf didn't have an odor any different than the other one. The leaves do look alike just not quite as rough around the edges.

My neighbor tells me the big tree is a black walnut and that it didn't produce anything last year. Not sure what's going to happen this year. Not sure if I want to keep the new tree where it's at for now, move it or kill it. I almost hate to kill it though.

Thanks for your input! It's definitely appreciated.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Not really looking like tree of heaven (ailanthus) to me. It has a different branching pattern:

https://jonavrkal.wikispaces.com/file/vi ... heaven.jpg

Also tree of heaven is also known as stink tree. If you break one of the branches, you will know why it is called that, and there will be no question whether or not it is ailanthus.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

mrsartz

I pinched off a branch of the new tree and smelled it. It smelled so good I could almost eat it. So not a Tree of Heaven. Broke a leaf off of the walnut, broke it open and it smelled just as good.

So it is a Black Walnut and I don't need another one so it will go. Plenty more opportunities to get one or a million more.

Thank you everyone so much for your help! I certainly wouldn't have thought of smelling the leaves or branches nor would I have known what to smell for.

mrsartz

Hi again!

So, I went to pull this little tree out of my garden and it wouldn't budge one bit. Not even a hair. I went to get the shovel and dug and dug some more to find out that it's a root from the Black Walnut tree that's about 50 feet from the house.

Well now I'm 100% sure that it was a Black Walnut but now what do I do about the root that's growing towards my home and sprouting trees? How many more roots could be creeping closer to my home? About another 10 feet and the root would be at my block foundation.

Return to “Plant Identification”