sleepingciv

Help IDing please

Im new to growing stuff and never have.

This garden section was here when we moved in.
In it was rhubarb, asparagus, green onions, and poppies. Think something else.

Anywho. We cleared out what was in there, then planted crimson watermelons.
From looking online I see the crimson melons leaves look very different from what are in the pics below.

Any ideas what they are? Are they just weeds??I had no melons sprout from what I can see which is kinda sad.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

Re: Help IDing please

sorry, i see no melons there. the big-leaved things are probably dock (Rumex spp) though my first impression was horseradish...but probably dock.

sleepingciv

Talking to my fiancee. This is her granfathers old house. She thinks it could be horseradish. Thanks for the info. Plus Googling it, it looks like it

If I dig it up and look and the root would that be more specific to tell what it is?

RamonaGS
Green Thumb

It is probably too early for the root to look like a horse radish yet. It can take a bit of time to develop the tell tale root.
~~Ramona mother of fur babies~~

Mr_bobo_

sleepingciv wrote:Talking to my fiancee. This is her granfathers old house. She thinks it could be horseradish. Thanks for the info. Plus Googling it, it looks like it

If I dig it up and look and the root would that be more specific to tell what it is?
Yeah ... horseradish is first what's come on my mind... usually is true... and it is... ;-)
My Garden at: www.borisvrt.webs.com

imafan26
Mod

Horseradish roots go deep, they can be dormant for years waiting to come up. It is best to harvest horseradish before the roots get too woody. They are actually hard to get rid of.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

Mr_bobo_

imafan26 wrote: They are actually hard to get rid of.
...yeah he can acting like weed...
...my neighbor have field that deals with tiller (I don't know if tiller is the right word)...and in spring cut roots which are under ground and in that way spreed it all around... so horseradish plants germinate from all field... crazy...
My Garden at: www.borisvrt.webs.com

Return to “Plant Identification”