Antonino10
Newly Registered

Is this poison ivy?

It his looks a lot like poison ivy to me but a few people told me it is bishops weed. I am not sure. Any help would be appreciated. Attached is a link to some pictures below. Btw, I live in northern Illinois.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96996329@N06/
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (53.05 KiB) Viewed 1710 times
Ivy
Ivy
image.jpg (46.56 KiB) Viewed 1711 times

applestar
Mod

NOT poison ivy, but I don't know what it is.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, definitely not poison ivy, but I don't think bishops weed either.

Antonino10
Newly Registered

Does anyone know what this plant is?

JONA878
Greener Thumb

It looks very like Ground Elder. Check by lifting some of it at root level. Elder has a rhizome and resembles couch grass in its root structure. It's this that makes it a devil to get rid of.

watermelonpunch

Hmm, Ground Elder is something I've looked into regarding an unidentified plant in my yard... But my plant looks nothing like the OP's pictured leaves. But I see in many of the photos in a google image search, that apparently there might be some variance in the appearance of the leaves.

What exactly would be an identifying trait of ground elder then?

I'm seeing that Ground Elder may come in both variegated & not variegated leaves...
Does bishop's weed also come in variegated & solid?
The bishop's weed in my yard does NOT resemble the OP's photo at all.
Even if my bishop's weed was solid green, the shape of the leaves and appearance of the stems & configuration are nothing like that.

I could see how the plant pictured in the OP could be mistaken for poison ivy. It has a resemblance to the general plant/leaf configuration.

I've never reacted to any poison ivy, :| Not that I would wish to be sensitive to poison ivy just to have a chance at a positive ID. lol :shock: But for example, the poison ivy at my family's cottage, that grows on the riverbank and such looks rather different than the poison ivy in the woods at my MIL's house in the mountains. And to be honest, both kinds I could easily miss as important. I've nearly, or definitely, walked through it (sometimes with sandals), only later to have someone point it out, or tell me they got a rash!
So I'm still not quite sure how to spot it well.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Poison ivy always grows in sets of three leaflets. The leaf edges are coarsely toothed. The two side ones have no leaf stem and come directly off the main stem, while the middle one does have a leaf stem and sticks out farther. The two side leaflets tend to be mitten shaped with a "thumb" section protruding out, but this is not totally reliable.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Watermelon - Rainbow has given you a good description and pics for identifying poison ivy. Do be careful. Just because you have never had a reaction does not mean that you will never develop a sensitivity to it. For years I worked in and around poison ivy with no adverse effect. UNTIL I tackled an infestation along a fence line. I ended up in the emergency room with a major outbreak all over my legs and arms and the worsts was my face. I inadvertently rubbed sweat from my eyes and had blisters on my eye balls. To say that I was miserable is a major understatement. I had to have cortisone shots, cortisone pills and cortisone cream. Even with all of that I suffered miserably. Don't assume that you will remain immune to poison ivy.

The toxic oils in poison ivy are present even during winter when there is no foliage. Vines that are cut remain toxic for 3 or more years after being severed from the root. My brother-in-law ended up in the hospital when he inhaled the smoke from burning poison ivy vines. His sensitivity level is now such that he breaks out if he walks within 3 feet of poison ivy. Please be careful and avoid the stuff. Better to be safe than sorry.

Mr_bobo_

JONA878 wrote:It looks very like Ground Elder. Check by lifting some of it at root level. Elder has a rhizome and resembles couch grass in its root structure. It's this that makes it a devil to get rid of.

Aegopodium podagraria is latin name of Ground Elder
...and yes, I agree with this identification...

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

ElizabethB wrote:Watermelon - Rainbow has given you a good description and pics for identifying poison ivy. Do be careful. Just because you have never had a reaction does not mean that you will never develop a sensitivity to it. For years I worked in and around poison ivy with no adverse effect. UNTIL I tackled an infestation along a fence line. I ended up in the emergency room with a major outbreak all over my legs and arms and the worsts was my face. I inadvertently rubbed sweat from my eyes and had blisters on my eye balls. To say that I was miserable is a major understatement. I had to have cortisone shots, cortisone pills and cortisone cream. Even with all of that I suffered miserably. Don't assume that you will remain immune to poison ivy.

The toxic oils in poison ivy are present even during winter when there is no foliage. Vines that are cut remain toxic for 3 or more years after being severed from the root. My brother-in-law ended up in the hospital when he inhaled the smoke from burning poison ivy vines. His sensitivity level is now such that he breaks out if he walks within 3 feet of poison ivy. Please be careful and avoid the stuff. Better to be safe than sorry.
Fortunately for me, I'm not allergic to poison ivy and when a kid, my father and I use to fish along the Mississippi River in an area that was lousy with it. We'd often lean back into the foliage to escape the sun when it was real hot.

This is not to say no vine will get to me as I found out when in my mid 20's. There is a vine know locally as the "Bush Killer" vine that grows almost as fast as kudzu, but has much smaller leaves. When I live in my last house, the fence was getting overtaken with this vine and I decided to break out the weed-eater to cut it at the base and off the fence---------------HUGE mistake as the spray of the juice from the vine being cut soon had me itching all over and it made my eyes burn like I had rubbed cayenne in them. I quit immediately and ran in to take a shower, but suffered for hours from that 5 minutes of exposure.

Needless to say, the next time I fooled with the vine, I had on long sleeves, gloves and pruning sheers to deal with it. I finally had to resort to using a herbicide to rid my property of this vine since even the tiniest piece of stem will form roots and make a new plant if the conditions are right.

Return to “Plant Identification”