KeriFord

Anyone know what this is?

I've had several popup. I decided to just let them grow where I can and now it looks like they're about to flower. Grandma thought maybe okra, but she wasn't sure.

The dirt here came from my grandmas house so it could be anything. Or just a lot of weeds.
Attachments
image.jpg

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Looks like some type of Amaranth.

KeriFord

purpleinopp wrote:Looks like some type of Amaranth.
yikes! if that's what it is, I'll have to pull it up and move it outside. looks like those can get big!

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Unless you want to eat part of it (which I'm not saying you should just that IF you determine that it's an edible variety - preferably through an ID in person, not just pics, AND how to properly prepare it,) that would probably be the only reason to keep this plant. That may be as interesting as the flowers get, they may start making seeds soon, although some types do have attractive blooms that look like pink or red "strings." Unfortunately, this doesn't look like one of those, sorry. As long as you pull it before it drops seeds, there's no reason not to give it a little more time to see what it's going to do for sure.

KeriFord

purpleinopp wrote:Unless you want to eat part of it (which I'm not saying you should just that IF you determine that it's an edible variety - preferably through an ID in person, not just pics, AND how to properly prepare it,) that would probably be the only reason to keep this plant. That may be as interesting as the flowers get, they may start making seeds soon, although some types do have attractive blooms that look like pink or red "strings." Unfortunately, this doesn't look like one of those, sorry. As long as you pull it before it drops seeds, there's no reason not to give it a little more time to see what it's going to do for sure.
Thank you!! I think I'll try pulling them and setting them outside to just see what they do. I have no desire to eat them, but I am low on flowers and would like them to draw bees. Maybe they'll do something.

I feel less guilty about ripping them out now!

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

If nothing else, it should be nice compost fodder, whatever it does. I'd probably take off the string things though, just to make sure they don't contain a ton of viable seeds.

You've still got time to scatter some basil seeds. Those flowers are total bee magnets! As well as Zinnias and sunflowers.

KeriFord

I have several sunflowers about thigh-to waist high. so that's good to know!

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Oh, that's awesome! I had terrible luck with seeds germinating (or maybe being eaten) this year. Frustrating! I keep doing it, scattering the seeds, one of these times I hope something happens. It usually does, at some point... and I'm usually impatient while waiting! Shouldn't have scattered them with such an assumptive attitude, I'm sure that's what it was.

I read what I said last again, and it's confusing. I meant remove the strings when ready to compost. If you do it now, that would remove the possible improved show, if this plant is one that has such.

KeriFord

I sprouted my sunflower seeds on a wet paper towel, in a baggie on top of my freezer. the seeds popped open in a day or two. was fast! Stuck those in the ground and it was just a couple more days and they were sprouted with the first leaves.

I did several flowers this way and... forgot where I put what in the garden. can't tell weeds from flowers! *fail* next time I have to at least mark planted seeds with a toothpick.

and I understood about the string thing! today is a water day, so I'm going to cut the seed things off before I even tug them up. I don't want to risk any falling in my dirt!

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Oh man, I wouldn't call it a fail at all. Few things can't be yanked up if they turn out to be undesirable after you get a look at the blooms, as it sounds like you well know. And who's got the plants? Very organized with the sprouting thing and you're right. When I've made the effort before, I've had plants to show for it. The birds are so smart, probably know to come here to look for seeds. Much more fun to wonder what's growing than stare at the ground waiting! Seed scattering is so enticing though. I succumb to the whim every year. If I could be more organized about documenting the timing, it would be easier to develop a successful plan. Too impulsive and disorganized.

If you can find a toothpick in your garden, I wouldn't know what to say about the level of organization - like you definitely know where you can/can't step - and your eyesight! I wear bifocals so I like the idea but I would be struggling to see them. Do you have access to something like oyster shells? I like to put a little ring of those around stuff I think I might not recognize later, or even just one. Since they're white, very visible. If it's next to a plant, I know it means something since I don't leave them laying around at other times. Also helpful if I plant something like a Dahlia or Caladium where I might forget and come back later with another plant for the same spot before the first one has had a chance to get going. Maybe rocks, sticks, pine cones, something you have handy (and I always like free.)

From what's visible in your pic, you're doing an awesome job with awesome gardens! Probably not telling anything you don't already know, but I do like to babble about gardening.

KeriFord

thank you. this is my best year so far with a garden. I meant to take my camera to update pics this morning, but I forgot it. everything is so lush, green and full. cukes are starting to really put out the blooms. I saw blooms on a couple tomato plants and even a squash! I have a pumpkin that's taking off faster than I can get it finished and where I want it. I think I'll have to just leave it as it is! I might even manage a watermelon by the 4th! and I noticed yesterday there's several corn popping up.

I worked in raised beds this year, so I wouldn't step on the toothpicks! I'll be on the hunt for some pine needles this afternoon so I can start some blueberry bushes (am not buying peat!) and I bet those needles would stand up just fine in the dirt. but the toothpicks I could color code to mark what's where! *gets excited* *tucks nerdy organization away* :D

Over the next few weeks I'll be working hard in flower beds and oh man, those seeds are soooo tiny. I think I'll be forced to do a little scattering and hoping. I'll have to find some way to mark them or it'll drive me crazy.

Return to “Plant Identification”